The Student Room Group

Faking happiness in uni, 2nd year

I'm currently in second year of uni, and return for the second semester next week. And to be honest, I am not enjoying my time here at all and put on a faze that I'm okay and all, when deeply I'm not. I have no social life and no friends whatsoever. I've tried societies and get nothing from them, the people who I connect with just disappear one by one, even when I continuously message them and ask to meet up, nothing gets implemented. I'm done asking and done trying. I have no sort of real communication with anyone and I'm practically alone 95% of time, emotionally and physically. I have family living in the city with me but they're just too toxic and just feel bored going there on the weekends, I don't do much but sit and watch TV and interact with my relatives, but that's about it.
I'm currently living in private accommodation and have the same feeling of being alone, I don't see my flatmates and it will be almost 4 months of living here. The contract ends in July of this year so I'll be moving with one of my relatives for my 3rd year. But overall I just don't enjoy my time here at uni and in this city. This city has brought nothing but bad memories from when I lived here previously, when I was young and even then I struggled to make friends. I had to move back home to repeat secondary school where I had more of a sense of belonging and a social life, then went into college and enjoyed my time even more, developed stronger friendships, happiness and an active social life, now I decided in 2018 to make the decision to come here when I HATE IT.. my uni experience is so drastic that I'm just hanging on for this degree. My excitement is looking forward to graduating next year. And that's what keeps me going, just knowing that next year I will be done from the whole uni experience and be able to fulfil my dreams and ambitions elsewhere.
I know it's not right to fake happiness but I'm just so miserable and bored in uni because of this, I really believe this is what I'm going to endure for the remaining years, and I do want to try and be happy but I don't know how. Even my family don't know this to the extent, they just think I have no friends.
My city and uni itself is not very diverse so culture is something to consider, back home my city was very diverse so I think that was one of the reasons why I managed to fit so easily and make friends. Compared to here, everyone is so cliquey. I just need some advice. And I also plan to look for a job during the summer but right now I'm just focused on my upcoming exams, assignments and driving lessons.
Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
what uni do u go to? maybe u can find some friends on here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending