R49 – Ministerial Report from the Secretary of State for FCO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
R49 – Ministerial Report from the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

This government has chosen to enter discussions with Mauritius and the United Nations to discuss the dispute over the Chagos Islands. We recognise our responsibility to set a precedent for following international law, especially when we’re encouraging others to do the same. To that end, the government recognises its duty to enter fair discussions with the involved parties and find a suitable way forward.

The government also recognises the importance of the Chagos Islands in the defence of the area and our nation, due to its military base, and maintain that this facility is important for our security and will not take any action which puts that security at risk. Nonetheless, we are determined to seek talks with Mauritius instead of simply shutting away.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't tell whether this is a report or just a statement.

Why do we even have these islands? What's the importance of having a military base there?
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We cannot surrender a British overseas territory without a referendum of the people of these islands - I thoroughly disagree with this decision from the Secretary of State and shall be advising my friend the leader of the opposition Baron of Sealand to call for a division on this ministerial report.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)

Why do we even have these islands? What's the importance of having a military base there?
It’s part of the British Indian Ocean territory
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
We cannot surrender a British overseas territory without a referendum of the people of these islands - I thoroughly disagree with this decision from the Secretary of State and shall be advising my friend the leader of the opposition Baron of Sealand to call for a division on this ministerial report.
Well I've just read that we evicted the islanders, so...
It’s part of the British Indian Ocean territory
And?
SacreBlan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We cannot surrender a British overseas territory without a referendum of the people of these islands.
You want a referendum of the people of these islands? They don't even live there because they were wrongfully removed.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well I've just read that we evicted the islanders, so...

And?
And might makes right - we’ve had the thing for over 200 years which makes our governance legitimate.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by igotthatsauce)
You want a referendum of the people of these islands? They don't even live there because they were wrongfully removed.
I don’t count primitives who lived there 200 years ago as the people of the islands; that would be the military personnel that currently reside there.
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I chose to submit this as a report under the view that it is outlining a government policy, which is to engage in meaningful discussion with the relevant parties, and for that reason would be better suited than a simple statement.

The Shadow Foreign Secretary will note that at no point in the report does the government say that our position is to hand over the islands, there is actually a specific mention to the strategic importance of the islands. This report is before the house to discuss the point of entering discussion with those involved. You may have an opinion on who should have control of the islands and that would be a discussion to take place once discussion has occurred and there is a clear picture of the situation which we can debate.
SacreBlan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t count primitives who lived there 200 years ago as the people of the islands; that would be the military personnel that currently reside there.
That would be so great!

This is how you rig a referendum everyone.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BosslyGaming)
I chose to submit this as a report under the view that it is outlining a government policy, which is to engage in meaningful discussion with the relevant parties, and for that reason would be better suited than a simple statement.

The Shadow Foreign Secretary will note that at no point in the report does the government say that our position is to hand over the islands, there is actually a specific mention to the strategic importance of the islands. This report is before the house to discuss the point of entering discussion with those involved. You may have an opinion on who should have control of the islands and that would be a discussion to take place once discussion has occurred and there is a clear picture of the situation which we can debate.
In my view there is nothing to negotiate - the islands are a British overseas territory and that status is perfectly legitimate.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the islands are of no use, then just hand them back to the evicted islanders and have done.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the islands are of no use, then just hand them back to the evicted islanders and have done.
They’re not of no use; they are used for military purposes with an incredibly strategically important base located there.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Since when are the actions of the armed forces decided by referenda of the soldiers?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Irrelevant nobodies or an important military base an allies? It's an easy choice to make

Chagos don't like it? I don't care. Tough. They should have built their own empire
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We have a military base there. It isn't of no use if we have a base there.

Since none of HM subjects pay Council Tax on the island or are residents there, there is no mandate for independence and so the Chagos Islands shall remain British.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

We have these islands because we own them and have for centuries...

As for the importance of the base: power projection, just like the Falklands, our bases on Cyprus, or Gibraltar

It comes as no surprise that this government intends to bend to the impotent and hand away all our possessions, first they're weak on Iran, now give away the Indian Ocean territory, next will be the Falklands, Gibraltar, and the collapse of the Union
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, I am outraged that this government has chosen to enter negotiations regarding what is our rightful claim to these islands with the likely outcome being that foreign individuals may be able to return.

Many of the uninhabited islands islands may be sites of special ecological interest or contain mineral wealth which can be extracted either from the islands or the sorrounding marine bay. They are also situated in a strategically important area.

Personally I believe that we should grant all out overseas territories the privelage of becoming part of the United Kingdom and attempt to populate the islands ourselves.
Last edited by Rakas21; 4 weeks ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t count primitives who lived there 200 years ago as the people of the islands.
Do you not consider people living in Britain 200 years ago to be British?
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We should be keeping these islands at all costs they are of big military importance.

We have held them for centuries so any several hundreds year old claims are redundant.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise