The Student Room Group

Rejected From Cambridge - Any Hope / Advice / Support?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helpme3456
I've just recieved my rejection letter from Cambridge university (for Comp Sci) and it hurts really badly to say the least. It came as such a shock to me after everything I had done. For context I am predicted 4 A*s at A level, have achieved a grade 7 (out of 9) in CTMUA and have a detailed personal statement / teacher reference about everything which I have done (involving a vast amount of complex programming projects which I have done in my free time). The interview also went decently however I made some errors when I was put on the spot.

Right now I am grieving about this and what makes it worse is that I really liked Cambridge's approach to computer science specifically (i.e. focus on maths). Everyone I knew thought I was one of the most likely people to get an offer but alas I have achieved nothing.

What should I do now? Should I consider reapplying later, should I ask for feedback, etc.

I have offers from other Uni's (i.e. Warwick) also, however worry that Warwick may not be as focused on the mathematical side of computer science as Cambridge.

Any advice / support is appreciated.

Your grieving, im sorry this is just ridiculous, no one is entitled admission.

Your predictions are excellent but the application process involves several areas of consideration.

I would continue down the UCAS path & give yourself time to consider re-applying although there wouldn't necessarily be any special reason to assume you'll get an offer next year, as it likely isnt a rejection based on A-level grades. Ask for feedback and take some time to think about this decision, you have offers from other top unis.

I would be suprised if Warwick doesnt have a heavy maths option, as maths is one of Warwicks most renown subjects and is one of the best maths unis in europe, and there math school does do combined degrees with other STEM subjects...
I've just recieved my rejection letter from Cambridge university (for Comp Sci) and it hurts really badly to say the least. It came as such a shock to me after everything I had done. For context I am predicted 4 A*s at A level, have achieved a grade 7 (out of 9) in CTMUA and have a detailed personal statement / teacher reference about everything which I have done (involving a vast amount of complex programming projects which I have done in my free time). The interview also went decently however I made some errors when I was put on the spot.

Right now I am grieving about this and what makes it worse is that I really liked Cambridge's approach to computer science specifically (i.e. focus on maths). Everyone I knew thought I was one of the most likely people to get an offer but alas I have achieved nothing.

What should I do now? Should I consider reapplying later, should I ask for feedback, etc.

I have offers from other Uni's (i.e. Warwick) also, however worry that Warwick may not be as focused on the mathematical side of computer science as Cambridge.

Any advice / support is appreciated.

I'm another Cambridge reject - I applied for English. I did really well on the entrance exam even though I was incredibly ill, and I still did alright in the interviews.
Trust me I know how crushing it is. I've wanted to go to Cambridge since I was about 9. But the things will get easier and you'll come to terms with it. I am applying again next year, I might not apply for the same college or even for the same course!
Really the best you can do is get brilliant A level grades and see where they get you.
I would definitely ask for feedback - it's what I've done and if you want to apply next year then it'll be useful.
And even when people expect you to get in they shouldn't think you're one of the most likely to get an offer - nobody is likely to get an offer. An offer is a reflection of the admissions process, but the admissions process isn't a reflection of your intelligence, ability, or passion. People expected me to get in, but I didn't. It's in many ways random, and also what school you went to and other things about you can work against you.
There are many other universities that are just as good which you would enjoy going to! It really is not the end of the world, but it certainly is difficult!

Good luck bro!!!
Hey - sorry to hear that - i've been through the same. If it helps, i can tell you my story, it might give you some hope.Last year I was rejected from Oxford, pre-interview which wasn't just disappointing but utterly humiliating considering everyone expected me to get in, I was also rejected from the only other university I truly wanted to go to. I got back up and started working hard again, and got offers from a few other universities that I decided to settle on. I'll just smash my A levels and try again next year, I told myself.A levels came around and...I ended up in clearing.wtf. Are you kidding me? After all that hard work? After getting back up and trying again? I didn't understand - I was watching people who hadn't worked anywhere near as hard as me getting their perfect grades and going to all the universities that I wasn't good enough for. I made the decision to once again get back up, I was going to retake my A levels, **** it, I was going to re-apply to oxbridge. My teachers subtly tried to discourage me but I was totally set and totally determined - this time I got an interview, and it went well, really well - I had a whole extra year's advantage over the other candidates that I had filled with further reading and personal projects and everything imaginable. As well as this I was extremely driven by my failures and my determination and genuine love of my subject shone through. I got my offer for a place 2 days ago.People tell me I've done so well to recover from everything that went wrong - but I know that I managed to get this offer not in spite of my failures but because of them. You can too. Get back up, and if you really love your subject - you'll try again.
Original post by Spoderman:)
Hey - sorry to hear that - i've been through the same. If it helps, i can tell you my story, it might give you some hope.Last year I was rejected from Oxford, pre-interview which wasn't just disappointing but utterly humiliating considering everyone expected me to get in, I was also rejected from the only other university I truly wanted to go to. I got back up and started working hard again, and got offers from a few other universities that I decided to settle on. I'll just smash my A levels and try again next year, I told myself.A levels came around and...I ended up in clearing.wtf. Are you kidding me? After all that hard work? After getting back up and trying again? I didn't understand - I was watching people who hadn't worked anywhere near as hard as me getting their perfect grades and going to all the universities that I wasn't good enough for. I made the decision to once again get back up, I was going to retake my A levels, **** it, I was going to re-apply to oxbridge. My teachers subtly tried to discourage me but I was totally set and totally determined - this time I got an interview, and it went well, really well - I had a whole extra year's advantage over the other candidates that I had filled with further reading and personal projects and everything imaginable. As well as this I was extremely driven by my failures and my determination and genuine love of my subject shone through. I got my offer for a place 2 days ago.People tell me I've done so well to recover from everything that went wrong - but I know that I managed to get this offer not in spite of my failures but because of them. You can too. Get back up, and if you really love your subject - you'll try again.

I really needed to read that, especially after your clearing story...wow...you are unstoppable! :smile: Thank you!
Reply 24
readjustment!! in aug
Reply 25
Original post by Fxzxvo
readjustment!! in aug

I don't think that that is an option as my rejection email didn't mention anything about adjustment or pooling, etc. (their website said that you can only get adjusted if it says that you can within your rejection email).
I don't think that that is an option as my rejection email didn't mention anything about adjustment or pooling, etc. (their website said that you can only get adjusted if it says that you can within your rejection email).

A great thread with some really inspiring stories of reapplying and getting in again on the one hand and going somewhere else and having a brilliant time on the other. The one thing you mustn't do now is collapse in on yourself and lose all your confidence. We all tell ourselves stories about how our lives are going to pan out. But that's all they are: stories. You could walk around now with "Cambridge Reject" tattooed on your forehead. How happy would that make you? Or you could give yourself a break, some time to breathe and regroup and remind yourself that you are an exceptional candidate with much to offer. I have a mantra for my kids: Everyone who wants what you have to offer will always find you. Maybe that's Warwick- and I have heard that Warwick is incredible for Computer science. Or maybe you take a gap year and reapply or apply to Oxford. Your life is not over. You are the same person you were the day before you got the news about Cambridge with exactly the same talents and abilities. Every application is flawed- they don't know everything about you, they can't tell from a couple of 20 minute interviews. Life is FULL of moments like this ( whether you get a degree from Oxbridge or not). The important thing- the test that you are really facing- is whether you can respond with courage and equanimity. I believe you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending