JJRow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Good evening guys!

Forgive me for having a brand new account- my previous username made me identifiable so I had to delete and restart before posting into this forum.

Long story short- on Monday I had my Filter interview for my application, currently for IntO then WSO. I failed based on my lack of knowledge of aircraft, but was still recommended to change my application to Pilot (then WSO then IntO) due to my CBAT results, which were very strong.

I've been given 8 weeks to prep and go back in for another Filter Interview. I am therefore planning everything I can to get the required knowledge but I'm struggling to find consistent information...Other than the RAF website are there any other useful sources?

I'm also arranging some adventurous training hikes and a visit to a local air base. I don't want to leave a stone unturned this time, are there any pointers towards where I can look and opportunities I may use?

Thank you for your help in advance.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi

Are you still looking for information on aircraft the RAF use, or are you now looking for something else, you haven't said in your original post? Or are you now looking for information on being a pilot in the RAF?

The RAF websites are the official sources of information for you, anywhere else could have out of date info.

If it's aircraft, have you had a look here?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
JJRow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

Are you still looking for information on aircraft the RAF use, or are you now looking for something else, you haven't said in your original post? Or are you now looking for information on being a pilot in the RAF?

The RAF websites are the official sources of information for you, anywhere else could have out of date info.

If it's aircraft, have you had a look here?

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi Adam, thanks for your response!

I realise now it was quite vague, sorry. I am looking for more information on current aircraft, yes. How they're classified (are rotary wing, multi-engine, fast jet the only 3 or would ISTAR & training go alongside these now?), and sources for detailed information on the planes (though I suppose RAF website is the best for this). Are there any specific online tools anybody uses to help learn these?

Also, what advice would you have on what not to say with regards to motivations to become a pilot? Theres the obvious cliches and I don't want to go down that route, but I've heard of a serving regular being told his motivations weren't genuine during his interview, and I don't want that to come across as the case for myself.

Thanks!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JJRow)

I realise now it was quite vague, sorry. I am looking for more information on current aircraft, yes. How they're classified (are rotary wing, multi-engine, fast jet the only 3 or would ISTAR & training go alongside these now?), and sources for detailed information on the planes (though I suppose RAF website is the best for this). Are there any specific online tools anybody uses to help learn these?

Also, what advice would you have on what not to say with regards to motivations to become a pilot? Theres the obvious cliches and I don't want to go down that route, but I've heard of a serving regular being told his motivations weren't genuine during his interview, and I don't want that to come across as the case for myself.

Thanks!
You're not going to be spoonfed answers on here, for 2 reasons. First, TSR rules say "the site is not here to help anyone gain an unfair advantage in exams, interviews and the like."

Second, the whole point of the filter interview is to check your suitability to join, which includes seeing your level of preparation, reasoning, and how your personality comes through. If you want to be a pilot then you say why, not craft your answer around what other people tell you.

You're applying for an officer role and should be showing some initiative now. As an ex-recruiter, I can say it's easy to see the people who are genuine and have put the work into the interview, and plenty of people have joined up without resources like TSR. Equally, not everyone gets through and that's how the system should work.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JJRow)

Thanks!
Hi

There's three streams for operational aircraft, Rotary, Fast Jet and Multi-Engine. The RAF website is the place you should be looking for the information on the types of aircraft and what they are. I don't know whether there are any tools that people use, but the website is all you need.

There's no way I know what your motivation is to be a pilot, only you know that. Likewise, you can work out what would be a bad thing to say. You know what's genuine and what isn't. Being honest is the best thing, otherwise you're just trying to come up with answers you think the recruiter wants to hear.

You're applying to be an Officer, we expect all candidates, especially potential Officers, to use their own initiative. You're expected to be a leader and show teamwork and leadership qualities during the application process and beyond. ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads