Lostx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I would like to find a timeline for medical applications.

So what I need to find out is:

- Is it generally advisable to do two A level retakes over 2 or 1 years?

- when should I sit the UCAT?

- if I take my A levels over 2 years will I be applying in 2022?

- when are the exams for AS and A level?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
- Is it generally advisable to do two A level retakes over 2 or 1 years?
Depends on your own preference and situation. Do you think you can do it in 1 year?

- when should I sit the UCAT?
The year before entry. i.e. for 2021 entry, sit it this year. 1st July - 31st August is the "standard entry period", 1st September - 6th October costs more. Most people sit it in the standard entry period. You can apply to sit the UCAT from 4th May onwards, until 22nd September. UCAS deadline will be 15th October 2020.

The timeline, and discussion for the upcoming entry is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6282054

If you are applying for 2022 entry, then it's the same dates except you sit the UCAT in July - October 2021, and apply to UCAS by 15th October 2021.

- if I take my A levels over 2 years will I be applying in 2022?
You will be applying in October 2021, for 2022 entry.

- when are the exams for AS and A level?
May / June time I think? It's no longer modular so they are all sat at the same time.
Last edited by ecolier; 10 months ago
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on your own preference and situation. Do you think you can do it in 1 year?

The year before entry. i.e. for 2021 entry, sit it this year. May - 31st August is the "standard entry period", 1st September - 6 / 7 October (I can't remember!) costs more. Most people sit it in the standard entry period.

You will be applying in October 2021, for 2022 entry.

May / June time I think? It's no longer modular so they are all sat at the same time.
What do you mean by it no longer being modular? AS and A levels are all done in one exam?

Thanks so much for your help!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
What do you mean by it no longer being modular? AS and A levels are all done in one exam?...
As in, there are no longer AS level exams.

When I did it, you sit 3 AS exams (spread out over January and June of Year 12) and then 3 A2 exams (again spread out over January and June of Year 13). It used to be that you can retake individual exams (i.e. modular exams), and as long as it's done within Year 12 and 13 - they don't count as retakes.

Nowadays I think students do not sit any actual exams in Year 12 (they may have mocks), and have all important exams near the end of Year 13 all in one go. So you will be looking to sit it with the Year 13s when they take their exams - i.e. June.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
As in, there are no longer AS level exams.

When I did it, you sit 3 AS exams (spread out over January and June of Year 12) and then 3 A2 exams (again spread out over January and June of Year 13). It used to be that you can retake individual exams (i.e. modular exams), and as long as it's done within Year 12 and 13 - they don't count as retakes.

Nowadays I think students do not sit any actual exams in Year 12 (they may have mocks), and have all important exams near the end of Year 13 all in one go. So you will be looking to sit it with the Year 13s when they take their exams - i.e. June.
Ah I see!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads