The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take only a level maths (Not further) to study maths for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by 1st superstar
Agreed

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Agree with this. If you're not interested enough to take FM despite it being available to you then I would strongly recommend that you don't do a maths degree.

Original post by skylark2
I think there's a difference between "I didn't do FM because my school doesn't offer it", "I didn't do FM because I didn't realise how much I liked maths until well after I made my A level choices", "I didn't do FM because the teacher is so bad I have no chance of a decent grade" and "I want to do a maths degree but I'm going to actively choose not to do FM because I'm not interested in it." IMO the first three are common and normal and the fourth is a bit odd.

Someone else mentioned that maths A level is actually much more physics, and that was what happened to me - I was sure I wanted to do a maths degree from about age 13, and then at a very late stage (well into year 13) I had this moment of cold realisation that I didn't actually like maths itself very much - what I liked was using maths to solve problems, i.e. mathematical physics. Fortunately it was just barely not too late to change my UCAS application. I'm wondering whether the OP has considered if actually the maths they like is more maths as a tool in economics or accountancy than maths as a subject in its own right, given the comment about finance.

It's worth pointing out though that the OP never said that they don't want to do FM because they're not interested in it. They say they enjoy maths but are worried that further maths will be too challenging for them. Someone who isn't good enough to get a decent grade in FM clearly can't study maths at one of the top unis but it shouldn't rule them out from every uni.
Original post by Sir Cumference
It's worth pointing out though that the OP never said that they don't want to do FM because they're not interested in it. They say they enjoy maths but are worried that further maths will be too challenging for them. Someone who isn't good enough to get a decent grade in FM clearly can't study maths at one of the top unis but it shouldn't rule them out from every uni.

I know it's just that if you find that FM is "too hard or too much work" then why dedicate 3-7 years to do a maths degree (where FM will just be the tip of the iceberg to that degree?)... Seems odd to me 🧐 hence why I agree with @skylark2
Reply 62
I know it's just that if you find that FM is "too hard or too much work" then why dedicate 3-7 years to do a maths degree (where FM will just be the tip of the iceberg to that degree?)... Seems odd to me 🧐 hence why I agree with @skylark2

You have to remember that there is no "further physics" or "further chemistry" etc. A lot of students are able to do well in maths/chemistry/physics but would struggle if they had to do a "further" subject alongside their other A Levels. If a uni only requires A Level maths for a maths degree then that's all that is needed.

As another example, I know students who did well in GCSE maths but did very poorly in GCSE further maths and then went on to get A*s in A Level maths. The stuff they learnt in GCSE further maths was taught to them again at A Level and this time they were ready. It's a similar situation to A Level further maths and undergraduate studies. Again, I'm talking about an "average" maths degree at one of the over 75 unis that offer maths and I'm not talking about one of the top unis.

I meant interested enough despite the workload/challenge - I would imagine (hope) that maths at any university is a lot harder than A Level Further Maths anyway. Wanting to avoid FM (for any reason) but also wanting to study far more advanced mathematics (and nothing else) for three years after that doesn't make much sense to me. Also, A Level Maths in itself is a terrible indication of what maths actually is, so it's important for OP to make sure they know what they're signing up for by doing a maths degree if they don't already.
Reply 64
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I meant interested enough despite the workload/challenge - I would imagine (hope) that maths at any university is a lot harder than A Level Further Maths anyway. Wanting to avoid FM (for any reason) but also wanting to study far more advanced mathematics (and nothing else) for three years after that doesn't make much sense to me. Also, A Level Maths in itself is a terrible indication of what maths actually is, so it's important for OP to make sure they know what they're signing up for by doing a maths degree if they don't already.

If maths is their best subject and they want to go to uni then a maths degree sounds like a good idea to me. There are some maths courses that only require a C in A Level maths and these courses will be nothing like the courses that require further maths.

Saying what "maths actually is" is a concept that is entirely subjective. Also remember that many people who study maths at uni don't care about the rigour or difficulty of the course, they just enjoy maths and want a decent career.
Also remember that many people who study maths at uni don't care about the rigour or difficulty of the course, they just enjoy maths and want a decent career.

😂 bro your kidding me right the OP literally said they don't want do FM because "it's too hard" meaning they DO care about "the difficulty of the course (maths)". If you love a subject to the point you want to a degree on it then surely you should try to to study the subject in as much depth as possible? You've basically contradicted yourself good job :clap2:

EDIT: but I guess you're talking about the degree and not the A-level
(edited 4 years ago)
You have to remember that there is no "further physics" or "further chemistry" etc. A lot of students are able to do well in maths/chemistry/physics but would struggle if they had to do a "further" subject alongside their other A Levels. If a uni only requires A Level maths for a maths degree then that's all that is needed.

As another example, I know students who did well in GCSE maths but did very poorly in GCSE further maths and then went on to get A*s in A Level maths. The stuff they learnt in GCSE further maths was taught to them again at A Level and this time they were ready. It's a similar situation to A Level further maths and undergraduate studies. Again, I'm talking about an "average" maths degree at one of the over 75 unis that offer maths and I'm not talking about one of the top unis.

But we're not necessarily talking about the grade we're talking about the reasoning as to why the OP doesn't want to do FM? their "logic" doesn't make sense... Also a grade C student can't do FM as schools simply won't let them, a grade 7-9 student can
Reply 67
... Also a grade C student can't do FM as schools simply won't let them, a grade 7-9 student can

They are a grade 7+ student (that's an A).
Original post by Doones
They are a grade 7+ student (that's an A).

yes and some schools (very few) allow you to do FM with only a grade 7
Reply 69
yes and some schools (very few) allow you to do FM with only a grade 7

Evidence of "very few"? All our local comp schools allow FM with a 7.
Original post by Doones
Evidence of "very few"? All our local comp schools allow FM with a 7.

mine don't necessarily idk schools in my area would prefer for you to have a grade 8. but yeah i agree with you overall and apologise for the mistake so shouldn't the fact you only need a grade 7 to do FM be giving the OP an even bigger reason to do FM then? if they can
Reply 71
mine don't necessarily idk schools in my area would prefer for you to have a grade 8. but yeah i agree with you overall and apologise for the mistake so shouldn't the fact you only need a grade 7 to do FM be giving the OP an even bigger reason to do FM then? if they can

No because some people don't dedicate themselves to Maths. :wink:
Original post by Doones
No because some people don't dedicate themselves to Maths. :wink:

Then they shouldn't do a degree on it...
Reply 73
Then they shouldn't do a degree on it...

Frankly that's rubbish. Many people like maths and want to do it as a degree. It doesn't mean they are solely dedicated to all things mathematical.
Original post by Doones
Frankly that's rubbish. Many people like maths and want to do it as a degree. It doesn't mean they are solely dedicated to all things mathematical.

True
Original post by Doones

Going to have to disagree here. You have to be a fair amount more dedicated to do maths as a degree than do further maths A-level. But here the OP has concerns about FM being too challenging so that's fair enough. (they'll be able to pick a uni course that's pitched to the level they're looking for) It's not prohibitive not doing FM in the case that you're able to, but it's more: why wouldn't you? If you have enough interest in maths to want to do it at degree level and the ability to do well in FM, it's really a no brainer to take the opportunity to do more maths. Since maths is the only subject strictly required for a maths degree, they then have one or two additional A-levels to play with, if they want a break from maths. I remember someone who did music as their third lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Going to have to disagree here. You have to be a fair amount more dedicated to do maths as a degree than do further maths A-level. But here the OP has concerns about FM being too challenging so that's fair enough. (they'll be able to pick a uni course that's pitched to the level they're looking for) It's not prohibitive not doing FM in the case that you're able to, but it's more: why wouldn't you? If you have enough interest in maths to want to do it at degree level and the ability to do well in FM, it's really a no brainer to take the opportunity to do more maths. Since maths is the only subject strictly required for a maths degree, they then have one or two additional A-levels to play with, if they want a break from maths. I remember someone who did music as their third lol.

Someone gets it :borat:
Reply 77
Original post by _gcx

Yes Music is a fairly common choice with Maths.

I know plenty of Maths students who aren't "dedicated" mathematicians. They view their degree course as a means to end; a job, and not as a maths teacher or researcher or "dedicated" maths career.
Original post by Doones

I know plenty of Maths students who aren't "dedicated" mathematicians. They view their degree course as a means to end; a job, and not as a maths teacher or researcher or "dedicated" maths career.

So they've basically fallen in the trap of doing it because it's a "good degree" and not because they enjoy it or are dedicated to maths?? 😑 oh lord then...
Original post by Doones

I mean - even to someone like that it'd make sense to do FM. People good at maths are quite lucky they can get 2 A-level grades out of it. As I said, it's not really a necessity thing, it's just something that makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply

Latest