The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take only a level maths (Not further) to study maths for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dia28273
Yes I’m talking about FM being my 4th A level as my college doesn’t allow it to be the 3rd

I think you should take it as a 4th. If you struggle then you can always drop it.
Reply 161
Original post by Aquation
What confuses me is why you want to study at university if further maths A level sounds difficult already. Surely university is gonna be even harder

I’m mostly worried about the workload because if I take it, it would be my 4th subject
I got a 7 in gcse math, and i’m doing a-level maths only and i’m stuck on an A ffs. I really want to go to do maths at Uni but because i didn’t do FM i feel like i would find courses at most RG’s too difficult
Wow, just skimmed this chat. I'm only a year 13 but I think if you want to apply to a great university, FM you should definitely do (and should definitely want to). But, a lot of universities don't require FM and this is fine too - you can still get a Maths degree and you may even cope without FM because you may be more mathematically mature at undergraduate age. But OP is still year 11, unless I misunderstood, so they've got plenty of time to push it to 8/9 and do well at A Level (maybe with better revision or private tutors) and plenty of time to think about whether Maths at uni is for them and what universities wouldn't require FM (most don't but will lower boundaries if you do).

I do think that grade 8 requirement for FM is fairly sensible - it's a demanding course with the strongest cohort and not hugely low boundaries considering. But, some people could still do well with a 7 because a 7 could be because they've had holes in teaching/knowledge/lack of practice, etc which could all be cured in sixth form. I know my friends got 8s/9s and some are finding it very hard, some are finding it manageable. One of my friends got a 7 and he's doing well right now by working consistently (although resat the year due to family issues first year around).

TL;DR, OP has a lot of time to think all of this through. FM is not a necessity but someone who wants to do a Maths degree, I'd think, would want to do more Maths which includes FM (most of the time this is true but there are people who improve a lot during uni so it's not definitely true).
Original post by NotNotBatman
what does the strongest cohort mean ?

If you take all of the students who do further maths and compare them with all of the students who do any other subject, the further maths students on average have the better GCSE grades and A Level grades overall, not just maths. This probably isn't surprising but it explains why around 25% of FM students get an A* (a lot higher than any other subjects). Grade boundaries are adjusted to account for the stronger cohort, otherwise it wouldn't be fair for the average FM student competing with so many high ability students.
It's absolutely possible, but if you're sure of wanting to study maths at university then I'd recommend it as it's very interesting and gives you much more freedom when applying to universities, especially the top ones. If there are two specific other subjects that you'd be interested in that you think you may go into, then absolutely go for them as you will cover the further maths content in university should you decide on maths, and then you have the option of doing those. I'd only say go 100% for further maths if you're extremely confident of wanting to go to the top universities (if you have a GCSE average of 7/8/9 etc. then this is a good indication of that) as you will be cutting yourself out of that group early. I have a friend that got pretty much straight A*s at GCSE, but, due to his not taking further maths, he is unable to apply for many of the universities that he is easily capable of going to, and it's a big regret of his. However, otherwise, it should not necessarily be a concern, and provided that you can demonstrate your capacity and love for maths in other ways, such as maths challenges, doing a lot of maths outside of just what you learn in school, you should be fine. :smile:
Original post by dia28273
Sorry I replied to someone else but yes I mean if FM is my 4th subject as the college I’m going to doesn’t allow it to be the 3rd.

I would suggest you at least start F Maths as it will give you a better idea of whether a Maths degree is for you. Do some prep work over the summer even if your school don't set any.

Quick Reply

Latest