Is a dark Black person racist if they abuse a ginger White person over their colour? Watch

jason12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've come across this "diss" track by the band Black Midi, dissing Ed Sheeran:

Here's the lyrics which I've copied from one of the Youtube comments, and appears to be correct after listening to the track:

when I walk in a club all eyes on me
for the A team but lately, all pasty like pastry
Ed Sheeran sucks, you sellout ginger prick, your music is dodo, you need me man we don't need you, hahaha, my name is Ed Sheeran look at me jeans and white tee-shirt plug into my amp pedal Oh my God, you greedy piece of ****, man **** you man, how how are you going to do that?

you, you're just taking everyone's money, remember that time at the Windmill when you took my ****? When you took my drum sticks? yeah, **** you Ed Sheeran sucks Ed Sheeran sucks Ed Sheeran sucks ****ing sucks Oh **** Ed Sheeran Ed Sheeran died, Sheeran died

The drummer/singer is Morgan Simpson:
Name:  Morgan Simpson.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  6.0 KB

Is it racist for someone Black like Morgan to use language like the above towards someone ginger-white like Ed Sheeran?

I reckon it is, using the example of say Sheeran abusing Morgan over having dark brown skin and black hair. There's an NME article on the track, noting it was taken down to start with, then put back on Morgan's Youtube channel, then taken down again:https://www.nme.com/news/music/black...-track-2595546
Last edited by jason12345; 3 weeks ago
JayAllen17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not gonna read your post dignifying it or whatever. I will simply say this. discrimination of any race, is classed as racism. if an Asian insults an Asian for being Asian, it's racism. simple.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just nasty.... reminds me of tingtoks
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
obviously it's racist
tcameron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what does their darkness as a black person have to do with anything?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jason12345)

The lyrics are:

Ed Sheeran sucks, you sellout ginger prick, your music is dodo, you need me man we don't need you, hahaha, my name is Ed Sheeran look at me jeans and white tee-shirt plug into my amp pedal Oh my God, you greedy piece of ****, man **** you man, how how are you going to do that?

you, you're just taking everyone's money, remember that time at the Windmill when you took my ****? When you took my drum sticks? yeah, **** you Ed Sheeran sucks Ed Sheeran sucks Ed Sheeran sucks ****ing sucks Oh **** Ed Sheeran Ed Sheeran died, Sheeran died

Morgan Simpson, the drummer/singer, is black:

Is it racist for someone Black like Morgan to use language like the above towards someone ginger-white like Ed Sheeran?

I reckon it is, using the example of say Sheeran abusing Morgan over having dark brown skin and black hair. There's an NME article on the track, noting it was taken down to start with, then put back on Morgan's Youtube channel, then taken down again:https://www.nme.com/news/music/black...-track-2595546
Yes. Racism is not only against non-whites.
1678904uhrnedmnb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's not racist because his comments do not feed into a dominant narrative of prejudice and discrimination against ed's race that exists in an institutionally racist society which is structured to disadvantage minority races. racism is not just about discrimination but about power - therefore I would argue that a minority race by definition can not be racist towards the dominant oppressive race. members of a minority race can be prejudice and hateful, yes, but they can not be racist.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it is racist and anyone who claims that you can't be racist towards white people is deluded. However, it does sound as if this particular person has some kind of personal vendetta against Ed, he sounds extremely bitter and salty.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This sounds more like he has a grudge against this particular person, Ed Sheeran, than towards whites in general. While it's definitely possible for a black person to be racist towards a white person, I don't think this is racially motivated.
watershower
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1678904uhrnedmnb)
it's not racist because his comments do not feed into a dominant narrative of prejudice and discrimination against ed's race that exists in an institutionally racist society which is structured to disadvantage minority races. racism is not just about discrimination but about power - therefore I would argue that a minority race by definition can not be racist towards the dominant oppressive race. members of a minority race can be prejudice and hateful, yes, but they can not be racist.
so by that logic, an asian (say Bangladeshi) cannot be racist towards another asian (say Chinese) because they are both minorities???
sounds a bit messed up to be fair
Azagthoa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Racism is defined as discrimination against someone based on their race within a power structure. Since people of colour are oppressed within western countries only white people can be racist, and only people of colour can experience racism.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jason12345)

The lyrics are:

Morgan Simpson, the drummer/singer, is black:

yes?
jason12345
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the replies so far. It's interesting that some of the replies are bringing institutional power into the definition of racism here. Note that Morgan Simpson has access to Black institutional power through out the whole of Africa; and in some parts of London where Black people are a majority. There are also parts of Africa where his dark Black racial identity is a majority, whereas someone ginger-White like Ed Sheeran is a minority even in Britain compared to slightly darker brunet and blond types of Whiteness. But I think we can all agree that Morgan Simpson is racially abusing Ed Sheeran's type of Whiteness in parts of this track -- ginger-white here.
Last edited by jason12345; 1 month ago
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Explain how our society is structured to disadvatage minorities, and why from a practical standpoint (leaving aside ethics) would we even want to do that? We're a welfare state, why on Earth would we want to actively create an underclass that is only going to be a massive drain on the public purse?

And I don't see how you can just blithely ascribe a nebulous and subjective concept such as 'power' or lack thereof to whole demographics. Reality is not that black and white. How much power you have within society has everything to do with context and individual circumstances, your ethnicity plays a only small role in the grand scheme of things. It has just as much to do with your wealth, your social standing, your physical prowess, your charisma, your intelligence, your career status, where you live and who you associate with. The white victims of Pakistani grooming gangs in towns like Rochdale and Rotherham, did/do not hold any power over their abusers, and the local institutions of power that are supposed to represent them, ignored and even covered up the abuse for years. That's a prime example of members of a majority ethnic group being powerless against a minority in their local vicinity.
Last edited by Wōden; 1 month ago
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah, gingers come in all different skin tones.
Last edited by the beer; 1 month ago
1678904uhrnedmnb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Explain how our society is structured to disadvatage minorities, and why from a practical standpoint (leaving aside ethics) would we even want to do that? We're a welfare state, why on Earth would we want to actively create an underclass that is only going to be a massive drain on the public purse?

And I don't see how you can just blithely ascribe a nebulous and subjective concept such as 'power' or lack thereof to whole demographics. Reality is not that black and white. How much power you have within society has everything to do with context and individual circumstances, your ethnicity plays a only small role in the grand scheme of things. It has just as much to do with your wealth, your social standing, your physical prowess, your charisma, your intelligence, your career status, where you live and who you associate with. The white victims of Pakistani grooming gangs in towns like Rochdale and Rotherham, did/do not hold any power over their abusers, and the local institutions of power that are supposed to represent them, ignored and even covered up the abuse for years. That's a prime example of members of a majority ethnic group being powerless against a minority in their local vicinity.
i don't need to explain at your demand, go read some books on it if you want to find out more.

you are absolutely correct it has to do with other factors, and so that's why your rochdale/rotherham example is a perfect way to show how the characteristic of gender overrides ethnicity in terms of power.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Such hatred disguised with illogic. The word 'racist' is quite simple - no hint of caveats.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azagthoa)
No. Racism is defined as discrimination against someone based on their race within a power structure. Since people of colour are oppressed within western countries only white people can be racist, and only people of colour can experience racism.
No, it isn't. It's a simple word.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cue people trying to re-define racism :rolleyes:

The only correct answer to this is "probably, but who gives a ****, Ed Sheeran is gonna sleep just as well at night after this supposed attack"
BobaliciousMale
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ofcourse. Racism doesn't just go one-way you know, regardless of what UK Police and the ****ty justice system wish to bull**** you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (469)
66.62%
No (235)
33.38%

Watched Threads