The Student Room Group

Driving Age

Hello,
I know that currently the age of which you can apply for a provisional driving license in the UK is 17. There has been rumours for years that this age is raising to 18, although recently I've heard increasing reports that the government are raising the age to 18 sometime next year. I have searched the web but I can't find any information on this, except websites saying it isn't true (but I wondered if they were updated?).

Does anybody know anymore information that could shed some light on this? I'm 17 in April 2005 and hope I don't miss out!!

Ben
Reply 1
theres always rumours that say that
It's not true

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dvo_charter.htm#2.%20%20%20WHAT%20TO%20DO

You should apply for your provisional driving licence using form D1 - ordinary driving licence. You can get this form from most post offices, traffic area offices, DVLA Local Offices, DVLA (Swansea) and driving instructors. Your provisional licence does not come into effect until you are 17, but you can apply for it within 3 months of your 17th birthday. If you are receiving Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate your provisional licence will come into effect when you are 16 but you can apply for it within 3 months of your 16th birthday.
Reply 3
LOL, this rumour has been around since driving tests were invented!
Reply 4
Well if it's true I just about made it in! Seriously though, the driving age does make me wonder sometimes...about 30 people in my year have passed their test, 8 have had an accident, 1 person's had two.
I'm well anoyed I've just failed my test and i'm pissed off. The examiners are sneaky gits. It wasn't as if I caused an accident or stalled 300 times in the middle of a round about no..... I failed on observation.
Reply 6
sarah@Caerleon
I'm well anoyed I've just failed my test and i'm pissed off. The examiners are sneaky gits. It wasn't as if I caused an accident or stalled 300 times in the middle of a round about no..... I failed on observation.

Observation observation observation!

My driving instructo is always on about it. Apparently its drilled into us to make us be more aware of the dangers around us. I suppose though it is important. Stops you from knocking cyclists down when coming off roundabouts, or reversing into a kid.

Latest

Trending

Trending