Could I teach GCSE+ English with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication? Watch

Liz_Moo96
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I am currently training to be a teacher in the post-16 education sector. Currently, I teach ESOL but I am interested in branching out a little further. I have a degree in Media that often focussed on print text based media, including literature and much of the audio-visual analysis stems from print text analysis and much if it does overlap. Would that be sufficient then for me to teach English at either GCSE level or perhaps even A Level? The two disciplines are not terribly dissimilar and I am already training to teach English of some sort.

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by Liz_Moo96; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liz_Moo96)
Hi there,

I am currently training to be a teacher in the post-16 education sector. Currently, I teach ESOL but I am interested in branching out a little further. I have a degree in Media that often focussed on print text based media, including literature and much of the audio-visual analysis stems from print text analysis and much if it does overlap. Would that be sufficient then for me to teach English at either GCSE level or perhaps even A Level? The two disciplines are not terribly dissimilar and I am already training to teach English of some sort.

Many thanks in advance.
Ultimately, it's up to the individual institution- some might prefer people with more traditional English degrees. However, it sounds like your degree might also help you offer additional subjects such as media and film which might appeal to some colleges.

I think it will probably be a case of applying for various jobs and finding one which is a good fit for your skill set that also offers you the chance to teach A-level English.

I'm sure you'd be fine to teach GCSE English, but in post-16 colleges, retake classes are often disengaged/have poor behaviour, so you'd have to consider whether you want to deal with that or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads