Racist lunatic professor fired over ‘will not hire Chinese’ tweet

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
He is University of Tokyo AI professor.

Artificial intelligence researcher Shohei Ohsawa also said ‘lower-class citizens who do not understand Japanese’ were speaking out against him.

His dismissal has sparked heated debate on Twitter, where users are alleging the university’s campus is ‘full of Chinese spies’

Ohsawa’s tweets sparked fiery exchanges on the microblogging platform, with users rallying behind the fired academic and launching a barrage of racist anti-China messages.

Some suggested the institution was forced to act as it had received funds from Chinese tech giant Huawei for research, and that Tokyo should follow the United States, which has warned that Beijing is looking to gain access to sensitive research.

“The University of Tokyo’s research may be used to crack down on the people … The campus is full of Chinese spies,” one user wrote. “[Are] the University of Tokyo and Huawei still connected? The unfair dismissal of an associate professor can be understood.”

Read another post: “The University of Tokyo is really abnormal. If you seek uniformity with strong authority over knowledge, it will only decline. At any rate, university officials affirm ‘communist anti-Japanese powers’ as an entity. That’s ridiculous.”

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...-will-not-hire
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some people have just heard of traditional views of far-East nations on each other, I presume?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
He is University of Tokyo AI professor.

Artificial intelligence researcher Shohei Ohsawa also said ‘lower-class citizens who do not understand Japanese’ were speaking out against him.

His dismissal has sparked heated debate on Twitter, where users are alleging the university’s campus is ‘full of Chinese spies’

Ohsawa’s tweets sparked fiery exchanges on the microblogging platform, with users rallying behind the fired academic and launching a barrage of racist anti-China messages.

Some suggested the institution was forced to act as it had received funds from Chinese tech giant Huawei for research, and that Tokyo should follow the United States, which has warned that Beijing is looking to gain access to sensitive research.

“The University of Tokyo’s research may be used to crack down on the people … The campus is full of Chinese spies,” one user wrote. “[Are] the University of Tokyo and Huawei still connected? The unfair dismissal of an associate professor can be understood.”

Read another post: “The University of Tokyo is really abnormal. If you seek uniformity with strong authority over knowledge, it will only decline. At any rate, university officials affirm ‘communist anti-Japanese powers’ as an entity. That’s ridiculous.”

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...-will-not-hire
I wonder, does Japan suffer from SJW identity politics diversity cr*p? Nothing to do with the article, just wonderin'

I wouldn't be surprised if they fired him because they were receiving money from china though, at my uni they refuse to endorse policies that anger chinese people (such as Hong Kong protests) because we have so many chinese students (who pay lots of money to be here). Money is power
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Snobbish, bad mannered and articulating vociferous separatism towards the citizens of a neighbouring nation that many Japanese traditionalists share.
But how has the man been racist and at whom is the race hate directed?
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sure this is the fault of white men somehow.
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaliaV)
I’m sure this is the fault of white men somehow.
Much of Japan's supposed sense of racial superiority comes from white people, yes.

Not only a direct emulation of the white supremacist mindset, but also indirectly:

Before the Portuguese reached Japan, the Japanese were just a raggedy bunch of villagers and pirates.

Europeans gave the Japanese technology and taught them how to industrialise, the Japanese embarked on an aggressive Westernization, and this (not coincidentally) coincided with the Japanese becoming a brutal imperialistic fascistic empire that oppressed its less technologically gifted neighbours.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbf there are spies everywhere. Allies spy on each other. I would happily bet £100 there are Americans relaying sensitive information from the UK back to the Pentagon.

I spoke with an Army Intelligence Officer a year or so back who was telling me Governments also get around the issues of spying on their on citizens by getting their allies to do it for them. E.g. The UK will spy on Australian citizens and pass on that info to the Aussies, while the Aussies will spy on UK citizens and relay that back. He said most people when this became public knowledge didn't really care.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Much of Japan's supposed sense of racial superiority comes from white people, yes.

Not only a direct emulation of the white supremacist mindset, but also indirectly:

Before the Portuguese reached Japan, the Japanese were just a raggedy bunch of villagers and pirates.

Europeans gave the Japanese technology and taught them how to industrialise, the Japanese embarked on an aggressive Westernization, and this (not coincidentally) coincided with the Japanese becoming a brutal imperialistic fascistic empire that oppressed its less technologically gifted neighbours.
I hope you're trolling. Do you think that racism, empires, slavery etc. in Japan didn't exist before whites first made contact? The Portuguese just traded the weapons and tech that let the Japanese act on their opinions. They had already fought China many many times in the past, and fought themselves many times more.
And do you really think that Japan was 'just a bunch of raggedy villages and pirates' before whites came? That's just pure unadulterated ignorance.
And do you really think empire-building is a part of westernisation?? I don't think you know what it means.
The strong dominating the weak was just the way of the world prior to the last 70-odd years. It's just human's tribalistic nature.
But no, somehow it's always white people's fault lmao
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 1 year ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know nothing of Asian (or world) history? There have been countless brutal empires there without the help of the honky. Ghengis Khan being an example par excellence closely followed by the Chinese empire and its tribute system.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is he a lunatic?

China/ Korea / Japan are very proud countries. Tensions often run high.
South Korea was recently boycotting and destroying Japanese goods and cars.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aSSB00B_dualism)
google meiji restoration. Japan was the first east asian country that opened its border to the west, so they were modernised first while the rest of the 2 countries stubbornly defended themselves against the west and opened their ports to trade with only russia later and then other countries
but i must say his first sentence is ******ed
Not entirely sure what that has to do with my point?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aSSB00B_dualism)
yeah except for china

that hes partially correct?
Except he isnt on the point i addressed. He blamed european influences for savage empires in asia, i pointed out that that is rubbish.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

There has always been a sense differency and one being superior over each-other among them. Take the dragon. Each of the 3 nations (China, Korea, Japan) have their own myths on dragon's claws, and each telling it is their dragon who was the primary one, and superior over other dragons.

And to remind you, in those myths, dragons were the first teachers of human kind.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 1 year ago
anon7513
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I signed up to this forum just to say this.

Just search engine Chinese student arrested for spying and see what you find..

Chinese students even spy on other Chinese students. They're all under watch of the Chinese government. If a Chinese student is studying in the West, and attended a class that critises the Chinese government and someone finds out about it.. they could get in some trouble.

Also because there are so many Chinese students and they often pay in cash, many places of education who want their money are appeasing Chinese students. For example when Tibet was a hot topic there was cases in universities in places like US and Canada where Chinese students were furious about anything that critises China's government.

Imagine if you studied in the US, and critised the British government and you had someone snitch on you. When you return home to Britain to find British agents contacting you and eventhreatening you and your family for betrayting your country.

This is the reality of what its like.

China apologists are the worst...

Especially from people go on about how bad Trump is but he's not throwing Muslims and others into re-education camps, some who don't get out alive..

Also given Japan's history with China the growing influence and expansion of China it is only natural they are scared.
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon7513)
Also given Japan's history with China the growing influence and expansion of China it is only natural they are scared.
That history being the Japanese massacring tens of millions of Chinese and visiting the most gruesome atrocities upon them?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That history being the Japanese massacring tens of millions of Chinese and visiting the most gruesome atrocities upon them?
You can't simplify the Chinese/Japanese relationship to one sentence, they have a very long history of conflict spanning hundreds of years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (6)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
16.67%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
8.33%

Watched Threads