The Student Room Group

Keeping up with well off friends

My closest friend has lots of money and can afford to do anything she pretty much wants- money isn’t really an object. She doesn’t work for this, and is all from a huge savings account from when her dad passed away while she was very young- which I understand, not ideal circumstances to acquire money. I on the other hand work all weekend at £6 am hour (12-18 hours accross day and sun) and have to go uni 5 days a week to be able to afford to do stuff. My friend doesn’t seem to understand I can’t just afford £100 here and there, and when we do save up to do stuff she gets annoyed at me talking about needing to book time off ‘for gods sake you’re obsessed with work you act like it’s an important job’ I get that sort of thing. In fairness, she does often cover little things like taxi home, petrol, takeaway but I do try and pay her back and she knows I’m grateful, it’s just annoying when I have to work yet will never have as much, and she’s like ‘yeah but you have a grand in ur savings’ but I’ve got to pay for my car insurance, things ike that and my car just cost me £300 for it’s MOT. If I mention it she’ll say something along the lines or ‘well is you shouldn’t have bought that dress ...ago’ or ‘il pay half ur flight...’ which isn’t taht useful long term. Any advice
My best friend is just like that. I love her but it's like she doesn't live in the real world sometimes.
For example we've been planning on going on a girls holiday in summer to celebrate the end of A-Levels and I've been saving for a while but I can still only afford a cheap, short city break. When I suggest the cheap holiday packages in places like Rome and Paris she just scoffs and says she's already been
I would just try stand up for yourself once and for all like get everything off your system. Whether she chooses to accept or not is up to them but if yal grow distant bc of it then maybe she's not who u want to rely on all the time and ig that's a little less stress off your back. Obviously don't try to convey it in such a way to cause some distance tho lol. I'm sure she will be even a bit more understanding

Quick Reply

Latest