The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry

Hi I was wondering if anyone finds drawing molecules easy and would mind helping me understand it? I find this very hard and always drop marks for the questions.

Thanks
Original post by Evan_Quinn03
Hi I was wondering if anyone finds drawing molecules easy and would mind helping me understand it? I find this very hard and always drop marks for the questions.

Thanks

Hi I always used to find these hard but remember that dashed lines and wedged lines show you whether they are in or out of the plane
I would recommend following these steps:

1. Learn the different shapes and their 3D structures e.g square planar, trigonal planar
2. When doing exam questions with compounds you don't recognise first draw out the dot and cross diagram and count how many lone pairs and bonded pairs there are. Then match up with name of shape. e.g for H2O there are 2 lone and 2 bonded pairs so this must have an angular shape.
Hi, it’s not actually like the shape of the molecules etc. It’s like if I’m giving a big molecule and have to draw, say an amino acid that’s present in it, or somethings neutralised and I have to draw the neutralised molecule.

Quick Reply

Latest