The Student Room Group

Alevels

I don't get how this would work. As in I'm 19 and the alevels I got first time round were CCD in psychology, sociology and English. The thing is I want to do alevels again but with different subjects because I want to do a different course so I don't get how this would work has anyone ever done something like this and would I even be able to do that and how would I look to universities as in I want to have more options will some universities not accept me because they'll look at my first grades will I need to resit them also if I want to go to a certain university along with my different alevel choices?
Original post by T4yiba123
I don't get how this would work. As in I'm 19 and the alevels I got first time round were CCD in psychology, sociology and English. The thing is I want to do alevels again but with different subjects because I want to do a different course so I don't get how this would work has anyone ever done something like this and would I even be able to do that and how would I look to universities as in I want to have more options will some universities not accept me because they'll look at my first grades will I need to resit them also if I want to go to a certain university along with my different alevel choices?

You could try a foundation year? although I'd suggest going to taster/sample lectures beforehand and not rushing to apply. FY's are great although a little bit annoying tbh. However, if you can financially do it resitting your exams may be the best option for you, but it is very costly.
Reply 2
Original post by failingpolitics
You could try a foundation year? although I'd suggest going to taster/sample lectures beforehand and not rushing to apply. FY's are great although a little bit annoying tbh. However, if you can financially do it resitting your exams may be the best option for you, but it is very costly.

I've already completed a foundation year I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do another one and it's not just that I want to go to a different university but with my grades, it feels like I'm not really in a position where everything is open to me.
I just feel like I cant keep changing when I'm at university because that's even more costly wasting a year on different courses. I just feel like I'm going to regret it even more as time goes by because I don't want to be still thinking I want to do alevels again when I'm older. I'm already 19 and I would not go back to my college to retake them because I won't be able to face them. I would prefer to go somewhere else if I did consider it. I don't really want to be stuck at my current university but I feel like with the grades I have, I can't go anywhere else that I would like and not all universities offer foundation years. I feel like I'm stuck in a mess I don't think I would be okay with being 20, 21 or 22 and in college, by then all my friends would have already graduated and I'm starting university than. the reason why my grades were the way they were, is because I felt like I chose the wrong alevels and didn't see myself doing any of them further and felt stuck with them. And now I just feel like I can't do anything. I know I should be grateful for where I am at least I got into university but it kind of hurts to know that some universities will never accept me even if I do retake them.
Original post by T4yiba123
I've already completed a foundation year I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do another one and it's not just that I want to go to a different university but with my grades, it feels like I'm not really in a position where everything is open to me.
I just feel like I cant keep changing when I'm at university because that's even more costly wasting a year on different courses. I just feel like I'm going to regret it even more as time goes by because I don't want to be still thinking I want to do alevels again when I'm older. I'm already 19 and I would not go back to my college to retake them because I won't be able to face them. I would prefer to go somewhere else if I did consider it. I don't really want to be stuck at my current university but I feel like with the grades I have, I can't go anywhere else that I would like and not all universities offer foundation years. I feel like I'm stuck in a mess I don't think I would be okay with being 20, 21 or 22 and in college, by then all my friends would have already graduated and I'm starting university than. the reason why my grades were the way they were, is because I felt like I chose the wrong alevels and didn't see myself doing any of them further and felt stuck with them. And now I just feel like I can't do anything. I know I should be grateful for where I am at least I got into university but it kind of hurts to know that some universities will never accept me even if I do retake them.

I'm literally in the same position now tbh! I'm in the middle of an FY atm but really hate it. You could do A-Levels as distance learning? or self-study and just pay to sit the exam? that way you wouldn't have to face college. But to be honest, if it's something you really want to do do it. There's really no shame in studying at different times to everyone else, some of us are just destined to have a bit of time out to figure out what we really want. There's someone in one of my tutorials who is literally 60 and she's only just decided to go to uni. You really can take your time to figure out what it is you truly want to do. One of the things I've considered is the OU Access Modules, although quite similar to an FY, I believe that if your household income is below a certain amount, you can do them for free. It could give you the opportunity to just see what it's like without fully committing?
You can do one year access courses that are free and allow you into higher education

Quick Reply

Latest