The Student Room Group

Moments question help needed for part b

A uniform rod AB has length 4 m and weight 150 N. The rod rests in equilibrium in a horizontal position, smoothly supported at points C and D, where AC = 1 m and AD = 2.5 m. A particle of weight W N is attracted to the rod at a point E where AE = x metres. The rod remains in equilibrium and the magnitude of the reaction at C is now equal to the magnitude of the reaction at D.

a. Show that W = (150) / (7 - 4x)

b. Hence deduce the range of possible values of x.

I know weight must be positive so I have to do W>0 but how did they also get x bigger than or equal to 0??
Original post by Sidd1
A uniform rod AB has length 4 m and weight 150 N. The rod rests in equilibrium in a horizontal position, smoothly supported at points C and D, where AC = 1 m and AD = 2.5 m. A particle of weight W N is attracted to the rod at a point E where AE = x metres. The rod remains in equilibrium and the magnitude of the reaction at C is now equal to the magnitude of the reaction at D.

a. Show that W = (150) / (7 - 4x)

b. Hence deduce the range of possible values of x.

I know weight must be positive so I have to do W>0 but how did they also get x bigger than or equal to 0??

W>0W>0 is correct, which means that 74x>0    x<747-4x > 0 \iff x < \dfrac{7}{4}. But this isn't a full restriction. For instance, x=1x=-1 isn't a valid option because that would place the particle off the rod completely! Hence any negative x is not allowed.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
W>0W>0 is correct, which means that 74x>0    x<747-4x > 0 \iff x < \dfrac{7}{4}. But this isn't a full restriction. For instance, x=1x=-1 isn't a valid option because that would place the particle off the rod completely! Hence any negative x is not allowed.

Oh okayyy but how do you know that the particle would be off the rod it's weight is unknown
Original post by Sidd1
Oh okayyy but how do you know that the particle would be off the rod it's weight is unknown

I assume you've sketched a diagram. Go ahead and place the particle at x=-1 from A, then hopefullty it's obvious how it's off the rod. This part isn't to do with weight being unknown at all, it's simple observation that for particlar x values the particle isn't even on the rod.
Reply 4
I assume you've sketched a diagram. Go ahead and place the particle at x=-1 from A, then hopefullty it's obvious how it's off the rod. This part isn't to do with weight being unknown at all, it's simple observation that for particlar x values the particle isn't even on the rod.

So suppose I substitude x=-1 into W that gives me around 13.6.. as the weight. I was trying to see it that way would that work too?
Original post by Sidd1
So suppose I substitude x=-1 into W that gives me around 13.6.. as the weight. I was trying to see it that way would that work too?

It doesn't work!

Please try to understand that we have two SEPARATE conditions at play here.

(1) W > 0

(2) The particle can only be placed on one side of A.

Condition (1) alone isn't going to give us the full answer, but part of it. Sure, x=-1 satisfies x<7/4 inequality and gives as a valid weight, but we also need to make sure (2) is satisfied as well.... but x=-1 doesn't satisfy it.

Anyway, post your diagram if you are further confused.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
It doesn't work!

Please try to understand that we have two SEPARATE conditions at play here.

(1) W > 0

(2) The particle can only be placed on one side of A.

Condition (1) alone isn't going to give us the full answer, but part of it. Sure, x=-1 satisfies x<7/4 inequality and gives as a valid weight, but we also need to make sure (2) is satisfied as well.... but x=-1 doesn't satisfy it.

Anyway, post your diagram if you are further confused.

Okay I get it thanks
Reply 7
If you don't mind me asking are you a student or a teacher?
Original post by Sidd1
If you don't mind me asking are you a student or a teacher?

Final year uni student
Reply 9
Final year uni student

I'm assuming you're studying Physics:s-smilie:
Original post by Sidd1
I'm assuming you're studying Physics:s-smilie:

Straight maths
Reply 11
Straight maths

Ohh okayy at what uni?