The Student Room Group

71% fall in HIV infections among gay and bi men.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ciel.
"we test every blood donation but there is a small possibility that very recent infections don’t get picked up but may still be passed on through blood."
but the same thing applies to straight people so i don't see the point

it seems like a small amount of infections slip through the net, and as gay people are the most likely group to have hiv they have decided to exclude them from giving blood to cut down on this.
Reply 21
Original post by ANM775
it seems like a small amount of infections slip through the net, and as gay people are the most likely group to have hiv they have decided to exclude them from giving blood to cut down on this.

their loss, i have a rare blood type.
wait why do gays get hiv
Original post by Napp
Ahh gotcha, should have seen that coming. I was looking at an American pricing it seems.

If I recall, there is something to do with the company still having a patent to the drug on the US meaning they continue to charge several thousands for its prescription, which seems entirely unethical. The company who manufacture it made several billion pounds off prep alone last year. What a world eh?
Reply 24
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
wait why do gays get hiv

i guess it's because we are more 'adventurous' than straight people (one night stands are much more common), and we tend to have more sexual partners on average. oh, and apparently anal sex is more likely to transmit hiv than any other type of sex.
Original post by CoolCavy
Isn't the blood screened anyway though?

Original post by ANM775
I would have thought so, but there has got to be some reason for not letting them donate? ...maybe the tests aren't that accurate or something

Yeah exactly. If its early infection is particularly inaccurate, but no test is 100% anyway - it makes sense to reduce the starting chance of infection if you can, and we can because there are particularly high risk groups - say people from much of Africa and sex workers, both of which can't donate blood.

The reality too is that... actually, in the UK people don't die from lack of blood being donated. They die from lack of organs - dozens daily - but thanks to the amazing work of existing donors, they don't die from lack of blood. If they were, we'd be less fussy clearly.

Remember that in many countries British people are flat banned from giving blood due to BSE risk :laugh:
Original post by ANM775
gay men represent a small amount of the population yet over 50% of those diagnosed are gay.

The ban is there to protect people.

and i'm not being homophobic either. I'd welcome a ban on africans giving blood or any other place where the hiv rate is high.

Wow OK theres a lot here.
1) I suggest you read official statistics on HIV AIDS before you talk about how the ban is for safety. Here:
https://www.nat.org.uk/we-inform/HIV-statistics/UK-statistics
Not only was the amount of transmissions from gay and heterosexual sex practically identical, but statistically speaking trans people (meaning people like me) have the highest rate of transmission.
Also its really terrible to suggest a ban on an entire racial group donating blood, considering conditions like sickle cell anaemia can disproportionately affect black populations, and yes sometimes blood from different ethnic groups are needed for different procedures.
You seem really, really uneducated on this subject, no offence meant.
Original post by princetonalec
1) I suggest you read official statistics on HIV AIDS before you talk about how the ban is for safety. Here:
Not only was the amount of transmissions from gay and heterosexual sex practically identical, but statistically speaking trans people (meaning people like me) have the highest rate of transmission.
Also its really terrible to suggest a ban on an entire racial group donating blood, considering conditions like sickle cell anaemia can disproportionately affect black populations, and yes sometimes blood from different ethnic groups are needed for different procedures.

Erm, MSMs are a much higher risk group! Have a look at this source - MSM transmission is practically identical to the entire heterosexual population, meaning the rate is much higher (probably at least 20x higher - depends how many gay men you think there are...) https://www.nat.org.uk/we-inform/HIV-statistics/UK-statistics

Trans people also shouldn't if they've had sex with a man or transgender person in the last 12 months. For the exact reason you state.

No racial group is banned - where did you get that from? :lolwut: People from high risk countries are banned, many of which are from Africa... quite different to what you said...

You make it sound like black people can only have 'black blood'. I assume you're talking about Ro subtypes... only a small subset of black people run into problems, and those problems can be dealt with by white-donated blood - its just a rare subset for them. We do need more black donors though that is true.
Reply 28

I suggest you read my Official Statistics:

https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/about-hiv/hiv-statistics

"Of the 4,453 people diagnosed with HIV in the UK in 2018, 51% were gay or bisexual men.

Of the 1,550 heterosexual people diagnosed with HIV in 2018, 41% were black African men and women."

Like I said, I support a ban on them both.
It's unfortunate about sickle cell. If enough donors cannot be found then maybe the proposed ban needs rethinking/reworking
Reply 29
Original post by nexttime
Erm, MSMs are a much higher risk group! Have a look at this source - MSM transmission is practically identical to the entire heterosexual population, meaning the rate is much higher (probably at least 20x higher - depends how many gay men you think there are...) https://www.nat.org.uk/we-inform/HIV-statistics/UK-statistics

Trans people also shouldn't if they've had sex with a man or transgender person in the last 12 months. For the exact reason you state.

No racial group is banned - where did you get that from? :lolwut: People from high risk countries are banned, many of which are from Africa... quite different to what you said...

You make it sound like black people can only have 'black blood'. I assume you're talking about Ro subtypes... only a small subset of black people run into problems, and those problems can be dealt with by white-donated blood - its just a rare subset for them. We do need more black donors though that is true.

I can find no stats for this in the UK over what percentage of gays have HIV [although I did once many years ago, so here are US stats I found from a google search on gay men]

https://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20100923/1-in-5-gay-bi-men-have-hiv-nearly-half-dont-know#1

edit: found the UK stats https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/one-in-seven-sexually-active-gay-men-in-london-lives-with-hiv-including-over-4000-people-who-dont-a3409406.html

But a 1 in 7 rate is HUGE imo

I also remember seeing some stats saying 5% of african women living in the UK have HIV as well [which is again, large imo]
Original post by ANM775
I can find no stats for this in the UK over what percentage of gays have HIV [although I did once many years ago, so here are US stats I found from a google search on gay men]

https://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20100923/1-in-5-gay-bi-men-have-hiv-nearly-half-dont-know#1

edit: found the UK stats https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/one-in-seven-sexually-active-gay-men-in-london-lives-with-hiv-including-over-4000-people-who-dont-a3409406.html

But a 1 in 7 rate is HUGE imo

I also remember seeing some stats saying 5% of african women living in the UK have HIV as well [which is again, large imo]

It is indeed very high. Which makes it especially amazing how successful prep has been.

Interestingly there are major regional differences, with say London having a much higher rate.
Reply 31
Original post by nexttime
It is indeed very high. Which makes it especially amazing how successful prep has been.

Interestingly there are major regional differences, with say London having a much higher rate.

Not sure why it's so high in London .... although, you would probably get more africans in London ....and from Looking at other stats African Gay men are the highest risk ethnic group
Original post by ANM775
Not sure why it's so high in London .... although, you would probably get more africans in London ....and from Looking at other stats African Gay men are the highest risk ethnic group

Maybe. Could just be random too.
Original post by ANM775
I suggest you read my Official Statistics:

https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/about-hiv/hiv-statistics

"Of the 4,453 people diagnosed with HIV in the UK in 2018, 51% were gay or bisexual men.

Of the 1,550 heterosexual people diagnosed with HIV in 2018, 41% were black African men and women."

Like I said, I support a ban on them both.
It's unfortunate about sickle cell. If enough donors cannot be found then maybe the proposed ban needs rethinking/reworking

Mine were " Official Statistics" too?
If you want less donors fine, but you clearly and fundamentally misunderstand how HIV AIDS is transmitted, how it can be found within a system, how effective the medication and education is, and the fact that there are many people with HIV AIDS who get it by virtue of being born by someone who has it already.
Please actually get educated on this subject? I think it would benefit you.
Reply 34
Mine were " Official Statistics" too?
If you want less donors fine, but you clearly and fundamentally misunderstand how HIV AIDS is transmitted, how it can be found within a system, how effective the medication and education is, and the fact that there are many people with HIV AIDS who get it by virtue of being born by someone who has it already.
Please actually get educated on this subject? I think it would benefit you.

you're the one who needs to get "educated"

Your talking as if you are the supreme authority on hiv/aids yet I was easily able to produce statistics to make you look uninformed.

1 in 7 in London.

That's HUGE. It is right to ban them from giving blood.
Reply 35
Original post by ANM775

Your talking as if you are the supreme authority on hiv/aids yet I was easily able to produce statistics to make you look uninformed.

1 in 7 in London.

"The epidemic is largely concentrated among certain key populations, including men who have sex with men and black African populations."
how about we ban black african people from donating as well then? but nooo that would be 'racism' eh?
Reply 36
Original post by Ciel.
"The epidemic is largely concentrated among certain key populations, including men who have sex with men and black African populations."
how about we ban black african people from donating as well then? but nooo that would be 'racism' eh?

have you actually been reading my posts, or just reading the parts which suit you?

I said I support a ban on Africans [from Africa] giving blood and have stated this many times on this thread.
Reply 37
Original post by ANM775
have you actually been reading my posts, or just reading the parts which suit you?

I said I support a ban on Africans [from Africa] giving blood and have stated this many times on this thread.

nope, not all of them.
Original post by ANM775

1 in 7 in London.

Who? Londoners? The 49% of heterosexual HIV AIDS carriers? All the white people who live in London?
Because you do realise London is not monolithic right? Like its a reasonably big city with different little pockets of communities within it.
You're just scaremongering, when I could use your same statistics to say we cannot let a single person in London, especially the heterosexual and white ones, donate blood because its too risky.
Get over yourself?
Reply 39
when I could use your same statistics to say we cannot let a single person in London, especially the heterosexual and white ones, donate blood because its too risky.
Get over yourself?

I'm referring to gay people obviously when i say ban.

and regarding the bolded part, Go ahead then.

Do you have any statistics for white hetrosexual hiv rates?

If they are high I would support a ban on them too.
However I don't think they are....
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending