A-levels to take for a computer science degree Watch

domm1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
history at a-level. I know that the maths and physics are almost some what compulsory for a degree in something like computer science, but I was just wondering if history would be a bit of a waste, or would it still be partially useful to take when applying to universities? Or should I definitely consider changing it to a different a-level if I'm wanting to pursue the type of career that I am?
MaliciousFlower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
most do require maths, only some require physics while little actually require computer science.
maths is very beneficial, but im sure there is universities that maths isnt compulsory for
RufusA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
History is a facilitating subject for RG unis. If you think you can get a good grade in it, it's fine for CS and keeps your options open.

Maths is a must and a core science or CS would be useful as a 2nd A level. Again choose one that interests you and you think you can do well at.

If there are any universities you might be targeting or interested in check their websites for entry requirements and admission assessment criteria.

CS is competitive at top unis so you probably want to spend some time during yr 12-13 to gain relevant experience or skills you can add to a PS.
domm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaliciousFlower)
most do require maths, only some require physics while little actually require computer science.
maths is very beneficial, but im sure there is universities that maths isnt compulsory for
I don't mind taking maths at a-level as I enjoy the subject, it's more so the idea of adding history on to the other two, and if it will be too different to the others and change it to something more mathematically-based?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless you're going for Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial then further maths isn't particularly important so for your third subject you should just go with what interests you and what you can do well in. I'm doing physics at uni but I also did history A-level and worked for it and enjoyed it, even though history wasn't even mentioned in my offer.

Basically history will be useful insofar as it allows you to meet the offer.
domm1
Rep:
?
(Original post by RufusA)
History is a facilitating subject for RG unis. If you think you can get a good grade in it, it's fine for CS and keeps your options open.

Maths is a must and a core science or CS would be useful as a 2nd A level. Again choose one that interests you and you think you can do well at.

If there are any universities you might be targeting or interested in check their websites for entry requirements and admission assessment criteria.

CS is competitive at top unis so you probably want to spend some time during yr 12-13 to gain relevant experience or skills you can add to a PS.
I know that further maths is a very desirable and well respected a-level to have when applying to the top uni's, but how important really is it when comparing it to taking it over something like history, and changing my choices to maths, further maths, and physics? I just want to get a rough understanding of desired it is, and how strongly I should be considering it at a-level over history.
RufusA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could try playing around with combinations using the UCAS offer rate calculator, but with the exception of Imperial or Cambridge I doubt it will make any difference whether you choose FM or History. Even for those, the margin will be a few percentage difference in offer rates. For competitive courses, other factors are used to differentiate - stolen from Leeds CS:

• Examples of your enthusiasm for Computing
  • Demonstration of an understanding of the programme
  • Work experience and responsible roles you have adopted
  • Evidence of thinking, problem-solving and technical understanding
  • Demonstration of independent learning and teamwork skills.

The important thing is do an A Level you think you will enjoy and get a good grade at. Sometimes it's useful to choose something different to give another side of your brain a stretch or rest! Also think about how you can improve your PS over year 12 to give yourself the best chance of getting in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads