The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Could someone give me current pros and cons of Birmingham medical school?

Could someone tell me cons of Birmingham medical school and the student life there in general. What kind of people go to Birmingham ?
I just received an offer to study Medicine at Birmingham. Could someone tell me pros and cons. Also how often do you get examined?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Daniellafreedman
I just received an offer to study Medicine at Birmingham. Could someone tell me pros and cons. Also how often do you get examined?

Might be better to post here..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=537

My daughter has also received an offer so I would also be interested in the replies.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Daniellafreedman
Could someone tell me cons of Birmingham medical school and the student life there in general. What kind of people go to Birmingham ?

Hi!
Note: I don't do medicine, but I'm on another course within the med school, so I can talk a bit about the med school and the student life as a whole.

Ok, so some real positives:
-Great transport links; train station 2 mins walk away, multiple bus stops right outside
-Great facilities; loads of computers, printers, etc
-Student support (academic, welfare-related and careers services) are tip-top. They also tend to be slightly separate from services on main campus, so there are reduced waiting times!
-Excellent catering facilities- the med school has its own costa and cafeteria (the staff and food there are fantastic!)
-A close cooperation with medical research (the institute of biomedical research is attached to the med school, and the QE hospital is just next door!)
-A whole range of med-related societies (cardiology, military medicine, the med school's own sports societies, etc)

Some negatives:
-During the exam periods, the space can quite limited (but this is common across the entire university campus, and this is certainly not unique to Birmingham!)
-While the university definitely (to me) feels like a community, the med school is physically separate from main campus (about 10 mins away from the centre)
-The uni station can get exceptionally crowded during peak times (just a heads up, in case you're thinking of commuting)

What kind of people go to Birmingham? You've got people from all educational backgrounds, all parts of the country and indeed the world, as I imagine you'd have with all other universities.

I hope that helps a bit, if you've got any other questions then I'm always happy to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending