10,000 word History dissertation in 3 months? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I am a history student and am kind of panicking, I have been dealing with a lot lately in terms of personal issues and health (I still should have tried to start earlier I am aware). This has caused a serious delay in my dissertation which is 10,000 words.

I feel as though I have left my research to the last minute and am only halfway through it. Do I still have enough time to write a substantially good essay in the 3 and a half months remaining? I know I would be able to gain mitigating circumstances, but I would rather not take the extra time if I can help it.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I am a history student and am kind of panicking, I have been dealing with a lot lately in terms of personal issues and health (I still should have tried to start earlier I am aware). This has caused a serious delay in my dissertation which is 10,000 words.

I feel as though I have left my research to the last minute and am only halfway through it. Do I still have enough time to write a substantially good essay in the 3 and a half months remaining? I know I would be able to gain mitigating circumstances, but I would rather not take the extra time if I can help it.
You have plenty of time, but if you had extenuating circs warn them now imo. Just because you get the time doesnt mean you have to take it. See your supervisor. If you are halfway through it does that mean 5000 words or you have done all the research?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
You have plenty of time, but if you had extenuating circs warn them now imo. Just because you get the time doesnt mean you have to take it. See your supervisor. If you are halfway through it does that mean 5000 words or you have done all the research?
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry, I should have specified, I am halfway through my research. I have made significant headway in the past few days and am hoping to keep that up before pressures of other assignments start!
Ellielaw2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

did you say 3 months??? Thats plenty of time!!!!! Just make sure you plan out what you want to include your main arguments etc and writing it won't take you long. Good luck! don't stress usually people start a month before so your on the right track
Ellielaw2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
2 weeks finish off the other half of your research
3rd week- 2000 words
4th week- 4000 words
5th week - 6000 words
6th week 800 words
7th week - complete
8th week - check over and that's all in two months so you can spread the time out even more as you have a month to spare.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ellielaw2020)
did you say 3 months??? Thats plenty of time!!!!! Just make sure you plan out what you want to include your main arguments etc and writing it won't take you long. Good luck! don't stress usually people start a month before so your on the right track
Hello,

Thank you for your reply also!

Thank you for this! It has really reassured me! I was worrying because it is such a long project and the uni recommended we spent the entire year doing it.

I am just concerned because I don't have a full contention/argument right now, but I guess it'll make more sense as I research further!

(Original post by Ellielaw2020)
2 weeks finish off the other half of your research
3rd week- 2000 words
4th week- 4000 words
5th week - 6000 words
6th week 800 words
7th week - complete
8th week - check over and that's all in two months so you can spread the time out even more as you have a month to spare.
I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to break the project down for me. Seeing it in that format has really made me realise it is definitely achievable!
Ellielaw2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

Thank you for your reply also!

Thank you for this! It has really reassured me! I was worrying because it is such a long project and the uni recommended we spent the entire year doing it.

I am just concerned because I don't have a full contention/argument right now, but I guess it'll make more sense as I research further!

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to break the project down for me. Seeing it in that format has really made me realise it is definitely achievable!
aww its okay. Honestly, don't stress it will only make you feel worse. Uni recommends this but everyone is different, everyone works at a different pace or too much going on in life. (and they exaggerate to say to spend a year on it). Its okay that you don't have an argument right now, don't worry, the more you research the more ideas will come.
Its fine, the time table I made for you is to show how much time you have but don't stick to it too much -don't be sad if something takes longer to do its normal. Keep going and believe in yourself many have done it and you will too &pls make sure you take breaks - mental health is really important don't drown too much in the work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads