Theory.. Watch

Isobeldace
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve got this theory that when we draw portraits (if you’re an artist ..) when we get a proportion wrong or misplace something we actually subconsciously drawing our own face. Because i looked in the mirror then looked at my old work and bloody hell that lass had my nose and it like kept going on idk just me ? 🤣
Paper_in_ASHES
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Isobeldace)
I’ve got this theory that when we draw portraits (if you’re an artist ..) when we get a proportion wrong or misplace something we actually subconsciously drawing our own face. Because i looked in the mirror then looked at my old work and bloody hell that lass had my nose and it like kept going on idk just me ? 🤣
Hmmm good theory but is it always like that?
For me when I'm drawing and i get the proportion wrong its due to me not drawing a guideline. And when I'm in unconscious or trans state i draw better. But it really matters in what style you draw. So if you're drawing realistic portrait maybe it is really you trying to draw more realistic image and the most recent image in your brain at the moment is you maybe you look into mirror couple of minutes befire drawing. But if you're drawing in manga, semi realism, cartoon i believe your theory would be wrong but obviously i need more experimental samples to prove so.
Paper_in_ASHES
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Paper_in_ASHES)
For me when I'm drawing and i get the proportion wrong its due to me not drawing a guideline. And when I'm in unconscious or trans state i draw better. But it really matters in what style you draw. So if you're drawing realistic portrait maybe it is really you trying to draw more realistic image and the most recent image in your brain at the moment is you maybe you look into mirror couple of minutes befire drawing. But if you're drawing in manga, semi realism, cartoon i believe your theory would be wrong but obviously i need more experimental samples to prove so.
*before not befire sorry typo
Isobeldace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paper_in_ASHES)
Oooh yeah tbh I draw realism most of the time, haven’t noticed this in any manga but I’m gonna see if I find any more examples
ArcticChimera
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hm. I draw animals. But when I do human portraits - they end up looking like potatoes!

Hol up...
Isobeldace
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArcticChimera)
Hm. I draw animals. But when I do human portraits - they end up looking like potatoes!

Hol up...
Hahaha this had me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.32%
No (93)
47.94%

Watched Threads