Derin14x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For work experience, I chose to work at my old primary school. But, after browsing on the internet, apparently to be a vet you need to work at a farm or stables and I didn’t know that. I can’t change the work experience place that I’m at, so is it ok if I work at a primary school?
biomedtovet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless you handle animals at the primary school (unfortunately children aren't included in that definition), then they won't accept that work experience. You could, however, include that within your personal statement and talk about it in aspects of skills/communication-building.

If you have time over the weekend why not shadow a vet, volunteer at a shelter or wildlife centre? I'm managing to work full-time and still volunteer. Physically tiring but extremely rewarding and fulfilling.
Choppygirl11
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To even be considered for the vet med course you need a certain amount of animal work experience before you apply. Have a look at the entry requirements for the universities. Most places require a minimum of 2 weeks at a vet and 2 weeks husbandry ie lambing etc.

In the applications threads people list the kind of work experience they have done to give you an idea. My daughter has applied this year and got 3 out of 3 interviews with the following:

3 weeks small animal vet
1 week mixed practice vet
1 week dog rescue centre
1 week dog training centre
1 week lambing (lived at the farm for a week)
She has volunteered then worked at a stables every Saturday or Sunday for about 2 years
1 day dog hydrotherapy centre
1 day abattoir
She is doing her A levels at Hartpury college and did dissection club weekly for a year and also a pre-vet enrichment where she was hands in with reptiles, small animals and farm animals.

Vet med is a hard course to get in to so you have to give yourself the best chance.
Last edited by Choppygirl11; 4 weeks ago
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As said above, whilst a primary school placement will not count for anything, one placement alone would not suffice anyhow

When I applied I had around 20 weeks W/E and many of my friends had similar levels - you need to show dedication and understanding of the course if you are to get a place - it is heavily oversubscribed. Similarly work experience is crucial so you know the career is right for you. 5 years is a long time to graduate and then decide you don't like it, which is more common than you might imagine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?