The Student Room Group

How do you learn best in GCSE maths? Open to resit students, too!

I work at a college and look after the maths department (as well as other departments). I was a resit student and had to take the exam 5 times to pass (I know right!) so I have some idea of how I learn best, but I thought I'd open it up to a larger range of students. So, what helps you to study/ revise for GCSE or Functional Skills maths?
Original post by CharlieJamess9
I work at a college and look after the maths department (as well as other departments). I was a resit student and had to take the exam 5 times to pass (I know right!) so I have some idea of how I learn best, but I thought I'd open it up to a larger range of students. So, what helps you to study/ revise for GCSE or Functional Skills maths?

Just doing questions over and over again until it sticks in your head I think is best, also look at past papers, if there are questions in them you can't do, do questions based on that topic until you can do it.
Original post by JordanP_27
Just doing questions over and over again until it sticks in your head I think is best, also look at past papers, if there are questions in them you can't do, do questions based on that topic until you can do it.

I found that worked best for me, too. I have a website dedicated to resit maths and have links to past papers and self-marking quizzes, so students can do them and instantly get a response. Is there anything else that helps you?
I found that worked best for me, too. I have a website dedicated to resit maths and have links to past papers and self-marking quizzes, so students can do them and instantly get a response. Is there anything else that helps you?

As I do A-Level, there is a lot more stuff I have to learn compared to GCSE, I use Seneca to learn the statistics and mechanics part of A-Level Maths, as well as A-Level Business. What exam board are you doing?
Original post by JordanP_27
As I do A-Level, there is a lot more stuff I have to learn compared to GCSE, I use Seneca to learn the statistics and mechanics part of A-Level Maths, as well as A-Level Business. What exam board are you doing?

Seneca is a great tool. We currently use CENTURY Tech as it uses AI to support learning. We use AQA.
Seneca is a great tool. We currently use CENTURY Tech as it uses AI to support learning. We use AQA.

Seneca has Higher and Foundation for GCSE Maths, so should be good for you.
I found using the Mathswatch CD invaluable when doing GCSE Maths, being able to go over each topic as many times as I wanted and then apply what I'd learned to past paper questions. I honestly don't think I would have achieved the grade I did without the extra help it gave me
Original post by Leviathan1741
I found using the Mathswatch CD invaluable when doing GCSE Maths, being able to go over each topic as many times as I wanted and then apply what I'd learned to past paper questions. I honestly don't think I would have achieved the grade I did without the extra help it gave me

Thanks for your response! Can I ask - what was it about the CD that was invaluable? The way the info was explained? Do you think it would have a similar approach as a video?
Thanks for your response! Can I ask - what was it about the CD that was invaluable? The way the info was explained? Do you think it would have a similar approach as a video?

Yes, the person narrating would methodically go through how to complete each type of problem (e.g. fractions or trigonometry), then give some practice questions (for which you paused the video and worked through them) and provided the answers at the end. That was great because you could watch back through as many times as needed, unlike in normal lessons where there's limited time to go over stuff. I also found the different grade levels really useful, because it allowed me to get comfortable answering the D/C grade questions before moving onto the higher grade ones. I think a video would also work, if it had clear explanations and showed the problems written out clearly (no scruffy handwriting for example :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest