How to get better at fast paced social interaction? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know my question may sound kind of weird but I am having a hard time handling “fast-paced” social interactions where if you overthink and waited too long to say anything the moment is gone and it would be weird to say what you wanted to say. For example, greeting people back or saying thank you.

Although I mostly struggle with this, in many occasions I also overthink what I want to say and ended up just saying “I don’t know” or replying too late and making it awkward. I also noticed that the more I put pressure on myself to say something or to do well on a social settings the more unlikely that I’d do well.

I think this makes people despise me, even I wouldn’t like interacting with someone like me. It doesn’t help that I might have a very serious & intimidating demeanor. Some people say that I look scary and some people like to assume I am depressed or something.

Does anyone have any advice?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of standard questions can have standard response because nobody really cares about the answer so you condition yourself to give the same boring response automatically whenever you are asked that questions such as "How are you" or passing greetings.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Lots of standard questions can have standard response because nobody really cares about the answer so you condition yourself to give the same boring response automatically whenever you are asked that questions such as "How are you" or passing greetings.
But the thing is I know what I need to say for those standard question, I just can’t bring myself to say it. I don’t understand why. I mostly resort to nod when people say hi, which is weird when I think about it. When I need to say thank you, I’d pressure myself that I must say thank you and ended up being stuck in my head and messing it up lol. I don’t have much problem with questions like “how are you” it’s the standard non-question chit chat that I cannot do. Damn I think something is really wrong with me 😭
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But the thing is I know what I need to say for those standard question, I just can’t bring myself to say it. I don’t understand why. I mostly resort to nod when people say hi, which is weird when I think about it. When I need to say thank you, I’d pressure myself that I must say thank you and ended up being stuck in my head and messing it up lol. I don’t have much problem with questions like “how are you” it’s the standard non-question chit chat that I cannot do. Damn I think something is really wrong with me 😭
You may be suffer from Aspergers? Or, it may not be that complicated - it could just be lack of life experience - as you get older, you realise nobody really cares and these small interactions are soon forgotten.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads