Students affected by OIA decisions

Watch
chuffster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am interested in contacting any other students who have been unfortunate enough to submit a complaint for review with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. I am interested in finding out more about your experience and how the OIA handled your complaint.
Gothic Kitten
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by chuffster)
I am interested in contacting any other students who have been unfortunate enough to submit a complaint for review with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. I am interested in finding out more about your experience and how the OIA handled your complaint.
chuffster TEST
Lucifer323
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The OIA is a scam together with the Complaints process, designed to serve the interests of the Universities and to offer jobs to several bureaucrats who would be unemployed otherwise .

I believe my answer to cover both questions of whether to use the complaints process and the OIA
Neil Phant
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Chuffster and Lucifer323

I suspect the views comparatively few will have on the OIA (because most will not have encountered them) will differ based on the OIA's adjudication. I'm happy to have that conversation with you but I suggest it's off-board for now. I assure you, especially Lucifer, that your assertion is entirely inaccurate.
I assume you realise the OIA is not to investigate the decision but the process the Higher Education institute arrived at in making your decision? It is not there to re-investigate your complaint.
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Neil Phant)
Chuffster and Lucifer323

I suspect the views comparatively few will have on the OIA (because most will not have encountered them) will differ based on the OIA's adjudication. I'm happy to have that conversation with you but I suggest it's off-board for now. I assure you, especially Lucifer, that your assertion is entirely inaccurate.
I assume you realise the OIA is not to investigate the decision but the process the Higher Education institute arrived at in making your decision? It is not there to re-investigate your complaint.
Hello my friend,

I think you are very wrong in terms of my assertions. There is nothing you can reassure me about a scum such as the OIA.

There are other conversations in relation to the OIA that happened 1-2 years ago. You can find them if you search for OIA in the forums. They have similar views to mine.

Let me conclude with a few comments.

Reassurances are not proofs. Nor they have any validity or substantiate any claims made .

Universities are self regulated and this is where the problem begins. In a self regulatory structure there is very little or zero accountability. Consequently any complaints against the University have to be dealt by the University... And this is comedy...& Tragic at the sane time.

Likewise for the OIA .I know what the OIA is and how it is funded . Not many students are interested only in the process. What is the purposr of the OIA if not a reinvestigation?? Deal with the prices of a Uni, which I'd already biased?

Complaints at University level and the OIA should be avoided by most of not all students .

Justice and fairness derive from impartial individuals not members of the same University that the student will have an issue with nor from the OIA.

Please see the other threads.

Can I ask what is your experience with the OIA or Complaints against Universities?
Neil Phant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
Hello my friend,

I think you are very wrong in terms of my assertions. There is nothing you can reassure me about a scum such as the OIA.

There are other conversations in relation to the OIA that happened 1-2 years ago. You can find them if you search for OIA in the forums. They have similar views to mine.

Let me conclude with a few comments.

Reassurances are not proofs. Nor they have any validity or substantiate any claims made .

Universities are self regulated and this is where the problem begins. In a self regulatory structure there is very little or zero accountability. Consequently any complaints against the University have to be dealt by the University... And this is comedy...& Tragic at the sane time.

Likewise for the OIA .I know what the OIA is and how it is funded . Not many students are interested only in the process. What is the purposr of the OIA if not a reinvestigation?? Deal with the prices of a Uni, which I'd already biased?

Complaints at University level and the OIA should be avoided by most of not all students .

Justice and fairness derive from impartial individuals not members of the same University that the student will have an issue with nor from the OIA.

Please see the other threads.

Can I ask what is your experience with the OIA or Complaints against Universities?
Lucifer

Your post raises a more interesting point about the way universities handle complaints.

I agree that the process is anything but independent - as they are investigating their own processes/misconduct etc. This is rarely going to be purely objective.

What is needed is a an extension of the Public Interest Disclosure Act which extends 'whistleblowing' to students and not just employees. Students are in a vulnerable position, often afraid to speak out for fear of whjat may happen if they do.
I am pushing for changes but lone voices rarely get heard - it needs strength in numbers.

My experience with the OIA is that I took two complaints to them and both came back Justified. I thought that at every step the various people there I dealt with with courteous and professional. They appeared entirely objective but, and I say with all honesty, I wouldn't have taken my complaints to them if I didn't believe in the initial responses to my complaints by the university.

You have to treat them as an ombudsman - and having dealt with Ombudsman before - the rules of engagement are that they cannot reinvestigate a complaint.
You can argue the rights and wrongs of that all day but it won't change.
That said, should the processes of the university be so flawed during its investigation that, in the opinion of the OIA, no reasonable person could have arrived at their conclusion - the decision of the university cannot, will any logic, stand.
chuffster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Chuffster and Lucifer323

Neil

More than happy to have a conversation with you about it but I am fully aware what the OIA does thank you. That said , it does nothing much in favour of the student , only unless the subsequent possibility of legal action in favour of a student is obvious. It is funded by the Universities so we can all guess where the loyalty lies. As there is nowhere else to take your complaint for review and you have to go to the OIA , I am not quite sure what exactly you are trying to say? My complaint was clearly not investigated properly by the University and not upheld by both the University and OIA, so if what you are saying is correct then the OIA definitely do not do their job properly.
The notion suggesting that so long as policy is followed the decision is irrelevant is absurd , especially if the policy is not fair and fit for purpose to begin with
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Neil

More than happy to have a conversation with you about it but I am fully aware what the OIA does thank you. That said , it does nothing much in favour of the student , only unless the subsequent possibility of legal action in favour of a student is obvious. It is funded by the Universities so we can all guess where the loyalty lies. As there is nowhere else to take your complaint for review and you have to go to the OIA , I am not quite sure what exactly you are trying to say? My complaint was clearly not investigated properly by the University and not upheld by both the University and OIA, so if what you are saying is correct then the OIA definitely do not do their job properly.
The notion suggesting that so long as policy is followed the decision is irrelevant is absurd , especially if the policy is not fair and fit for purpose to begin with
Precisely!

I have sent you a private message.
I don't know if you have seen it
Neil Phant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucifer323)
Precisely!

I have sent you a private message.
I don't know if you have seen it
Chuffster

Maybe I should have contextualised my answer a bit better.

There are clearly some on here who feel that a University's Complaints Process leaves much to be desired. Most students will never invoke the Policy - and I have my own suspicions why that will be.
For those that do it's a painful process - a student feels unsupported and, in my case, I consider veiled threats were made against me should I choose to pursue my action. Of course, the University doesn't have a bullying problem, right? Ahem.

I believe students should be afforded statutory protection under a Whistleblowing Policy, in the same way employees are (employees are protected under the Public Interest Disclosure Act) - but no such protection exists for students.
The vast majority of the 140 or so universities have their own 'whistleblowing policy' invokable by students and staff alike. Great. Fantastic.
The problem is that the vast majority isn't all. My understanding is that none of the five private universities have a student-invokable whistleblowing policy. Seeking information from them is arduous because not being govt-funded, the Freedom of Information Act doesn't apply to them.
Ask most universities how many complaints they receive each year (for, say, the past five years) and they'll tell you. Ask a private university the same question and they have no legal requirement to respond.

Students don't complain for any number of reasons - one being the possible impact it will have on their studies/grades. For international students, a concern may be how it might affect their Tier 4 visa status.
Others may just not have the confidence to speak out - applying the mantra of 'keep your head down...it's just three years'.

If that works for you, then great. It didn't for me. I have too much self-respect than to watch others and myself be mistreated by the University staff - academics and non-academics alike.
I'm the person who does something about it. Because it's who I am.
chuffster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Chuffster

Maybe I should have contextualised my answer a bit better.

There are clearly some on here who feel that a University's Complaints Process leaves much to be desired. Most students will never invoke the Policy - and I have my own suspicions why that will be.
For those that do it's a painful process - a student feels unsupported and, in my case, I consider veiled threats were made against me should I choose to pursue my action. Of course, the University doesn't have a bullying problem, right? Ahem.

I believe students should be afforded statutory protection under a Whistleblowing Policy, in the same way employees are (employees are protected under the Public Interest Disclosure Act) - but no such protection exists for students.
The vast majority of the 140 or so universities have their own 'whistleblowing policy' invokable by students and staff alike. Great. Fantastic.
The problem is that the vast majority isn't all. My understanding is that none of the five private universities have a student-invokable whistleblowing policy. Seeking information from them is arduous because not being govt-funded, the Freedom of Information Act doesn't apply to them.
Ask most universities how many complaints they receive each year (for, say, the past five years) and they'll tell you. Ask a private university the same question and they have no legal requirement to respond.

Students don't complain for any number of reasons - one being the possible impact it will have on their studies/grades. For international students, a concern may be how it might affect their Tier 4 visa status.
Others may just not have the confidence to speak out - applying the mantra of 'keep your head down...it's just three years'.

If that works for you, then great. It didn't for me. I have too much self-respect than to watch others and myself be mistreated by the University staff - academics and non-academics alike.
I'm the person who does something about it. Because it's who I am.
Neil

I believe you said you were successful in your complaint , so I commend you for offering your thoughts as I suspect that many students who may have been successful but aware of the corrupt process involved would find it a lot easier to take the result and disappear. Completely agree with what you have put in your reply, In particular , the suggestion of a whistleblowing policy. My impression so far is that there are hundreds , thousands possibly more students affected by this over quite a lengthy period of time yet nothing has been done to address it in any way that I am aware of other than messages on a blog? Please correct me if I am wrong.
I am willing to give my time to expose and challenge this in any way possible in an attempt to change it and , ultimately , recreate it to become a fairer system all round. Unfortunately I am no law graduate, but what do you think about the argument that as a University provides products to consumers it should be scrutinised under UK Law in the same way as an organisation or business selling goods. Therefore , subject to the consumer rights act which states that goods sold must be of satisfactory quality , fit for purpose , as described before point of sale?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads