Charlotte_1988
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, thanks in advance for your time. I’m just looking for some advice is possible?

I’m currently a HCA in General Adult Nursing, obviously the job is physically demanding, lots of MH ect.

I have been off work for a few months and received a diagnosis of a slipped disc and was told to do a job with no MH component.

Just wondering if anyone with experience of mental health nursing is able to tell me what a typical day is like mental health nursing and whether I will need to do a lot of manual handling?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Thank you 😊
Marina_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charlotte_1988)
Hi all, thanks in advance for your time. I’m just looking for some advice is possible?

I’m currently a HCA in General Adult Nursing, obviously the job is physically demanding, lots of MH ect.

I have been off work for a few months and received a diagnosis of a slipped disc and was told to do a job with no MH component.

Just wondering if anyone with experience of mental health nursing is able to tell me what a typical day is like mental health nursing and whether I will need to do a lot of manual handling?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Thank you 😊
Aww bless you, hope you get better soon, in mental health hospital there is younger and older people too, but with solid team and high quality people, i think you will be fine, i was working in many ward, one day i came to this one ward and found out everybody help each other with the right way of manual handling, i was surprise really, if one day you are a nurse you will be able to train your hca to that level, there is no body hurting
Charlotte_1988
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marina_w)
Aww bless you, hope you get better soon, in mental health hospital there is younger and older people too, but with solid team and high quality people, i think you will be fine, i was working in many ward, one day i came to this one ward and found out everybody help each other with the right way of manual handling, i was surprise really, if one day you are a nurse you will be able to train your hca to that level, there is no body hurting
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Is there usually a lot of need to restrain patients? I have an interview booked on a male ward aged between 18-65 x
Marina_w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Is there usually a lot of need to restrain patients? I have an interview booked on a male ward aged between 18-65 x
Young, so they are able to move, perhaps just becarefull as they are still strong, if they dont like you, you might get kicked or punch but ofcourse they will send you to special training for that
Charlotte_1988
Rep:
?
I totally understand the right way of manual handling. I’m just wondering if all patients will be mobile and self caring? Or Will some need help with washes ect? X
Marina_w
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I totally understand the right way of manual handling. I’m just wondering if all patients will be mobile and self caring? Or Will some need help with washes ect? X
Yes, my collegues told me, you will guide them to a lot of activity, games. they are probably independent for personal care.
Charlotte_1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Marina_w)
Yes, my collegues told me, you will guide them to a lot of activity, games. they are probably independent for personal care.
Thanks so much for your time and advice, hopefully I can smash the interview 🤞
username91
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck with your interview!
There's not really a need for moving and handling on an acute ward aimed at service users aged 18-65, our patients are typically mobile or have already adapted well to mobility needs prior to admission - we're not really geared up for hoists and such if that's what you're thinking but I know my ward has an adapted bath in case and we do complete basic moving and handling training.
I think your difficulty will lay more with conflict resolution - typically you will need some form of restraint training. This varies trust to trust so it would be difficult for me to give you any specific information but you will definitely need to inform occupational health and your trainers prior to completing this and it may be mandatory for the job - although like I said this can be dependent on trust and job title.
I've known many people with various injuries so don't think it will be too much of a problem as long as everyone is aware and you work within your capabilities 😊.
Good luck again 😊
Charlotte_1988
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by username91)
Good luck with your interview!
There's not really a need for moving and handling on an acute ward aimed at service users aged 18-65, our patients are typically mobile or have already adapted well to mobility needs prior to admission - we're not really geared up for hoists and such if that's what you're thinking but I know my ward has an adapted bath in case and we do complete basic moving and handling training.
I think your difficulty will lay more with conflict resolution - typically you will need some form of restraint training. This varies trust to trust so it would be difficult for me to give you any specific information but you will definitely need to inform occupational health and your trainers prior to completing this and it may be mandatory for the job - although like I said this can be dependent on trust and job title.
I've known many people with various injuries so don't think it will be too much of a problem as long as everyone is aware and you work within your capabilities 😊.
Good luck again 😊
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciated 😊 pleased to hear that there is generally no need for manual handling other than restraints. I really do hope if I do manage to secure a job offer that the occupational checks don’t let me down. I will see what happens, many thanks again for your help and time 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (412)
67.21%
No (201)
32.79%

Watched Threads