qwert7890
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I'm looking for any scholarships for international students for medicine (undergraduate A100). Does anyone know of any that actually cover medicine A100? I've looked over at TSR but couldn't find any similar thread.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
Hi,

I'm looking for any scholarships for international students for medicine (undergraduate A100). Does anyone know of any that actually cover medicine A100? I've looked over at TSR but couldn't find any similar thread.
I am a current medical school applicant classed as international so did look into this a bit. Most university scholarships for international students don't cover medicine, in fact I have yet to find one that does. Even the ones that give like £5000 off the first year of study state that they are not available to people studying medicine. Best thing to do is look at the university websites and scholarships and if possible search by nationality as some scholarships are specifically available for people from a country or region. Then check the details to see the requirements and whether they consider anyone studying medicine.
qwert7890
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)
I am a current medical school applicant classed as international so did look into this a bit. Most university scholarships for international students don't cover medicine, in fact I have yet to find one that does. Even the ones that give like £5000 off the first year of study state that they are not available to people studying medicine. Best thing to do is look at the university websites and scholarships and if possible search by nationality as some scholarships are specifically available for people from a country or region. Then check the details to see the requirements and whether they consider anyone studying medicine.
Oh, argh thanks anyway. If you don’t mind me asking, which colleges did you apply to? Because for international applicants the competition is very fierce indeed. What was your average UCAT or BMAT score?
AfricanDream
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
Oh, argh thanks anyway. If you don’t mind me asking, which colleges did you apply to? Because for international applicants the competition is very fierce indeed. What was your average UCAT or BMAT score?
Hi, no problem. I only applied to 2 universities for medicine both in Scotland, namely Glasgow and Edinburgh as although I had to apply as an international student, I have lived in the UK for almost 5 years and get home status in May this year before the course starts. So when I contacted a few universities about the possibility of changing to home status after accepting an international offer Glasgow were the most positive while others said that I would most likely lose my place making this change, Edinburgh said it might be possible but again there was a chance I would lose my place.

I was told that my chances of getting in as an international were far lower then they would be if I were considered a home student at the point of application.

I only did the UCAT exam and I got 2990 band 2, so an average of 747.5. The 2990 put me in the top 3% of all applicants score wise. My best section was Quantitative Reasoning-880 and my worst was Abstract Reasoning which I ran out of time in and achieved 690.

I was rejected from Edinburgh pre-interview but have a Glasgow interview on the 5th of February (Glasgow was always my first choice).

Where are you from? Which area of the UK were you thinking of studying in?
theanimumonsieur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)
Hey where are you studying and what’re your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
AfricanDream
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by theanimumonsieur)
Hey where are you studying and what’re your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Hi, I am a current gap year international applicant, so haven't started university/ studying yet but I am living in Scotland. I am still waiting to hear about the outcome of my interview for Medicine at Glasgow.

I have Scottish qualifications:
UCAT: 2990 Band 2
Highers: AAAAB (the subject where I achieved a B was 1% below an A and I had extenuating circumstances that were accepted by Glasgow which meant that I could apply there)
Advanced Highers: AAA and then also an A for college elective/vocational Level 8 Human Body Structure and Function.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads