larawils
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I have been set the question 'How does Aristotle's disproof of a deductive ethical science impact his ethical theory in Nichomachean Ethics?'

I was wondering if anyone could help with the Q or even explaining what/why he rejects a deductive ethical science? thanks so much!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not Aristotle expert, but I have taught on him a bit.

Excellence of character and eudaimonia aren't deductive, they're virtue-based: it's about phronesis, which is itself about doing and not about knowing. He thought that virtue was habitual, not abstractly knowledge-based (and so not sophia). This is why he rejects deductive ethical reasoning. It's not enough to 'know', and someone that 'does' might not really 'know' why they do it (because it is habitual, how they were raised etc).
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plato thought that if you know what the right thing to do was, then you would do it. Aristotle disagreed and thought it was possible to know what you should do yet fail to do it due to lack of virtue. So deducing ethical truth is insufficient for an ethical theory.

But it's not even that Aristotle simply combined Plato's view of ethical truth with virtue - Aristotle also rejected the idea that there could be one form of good which covered all things. He claimed that what it means for one thing (or profession) to be good is vastly different from what it means for another thing (or profession) to be good. Since the situations of life are so diverse in terms of what things occur in them and in what way they occur, you cannot have absolutist rules which cover all situations.

So, the best we can do in ethics is develop our virtue so we have the will to do the right thing and practical wisdom so we can figure out what the right thing to do in each particular situation is.
Last edited by Joe312; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
8.57%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
71.43%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (9)
12.86%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads