wanttofly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I open this thread for people in the same situation as my son, he has just been rejected by Fitz after pooled. Since he had been rejected by IC due to the low section 3 BMAT (6.7, 5.9, 2.5A) earlier, so he decided to reapply next year immediately after being rejected by Cambridge. We, as parents understand there will be risks and lots of pressure during the process, but fully support his decision, Cambridge has been always his dream uni and he worked hard for it.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
During this process, you will feel confused, self-doubted, lonely, and all sort of negative feelings. I hope this thread can bring people who are in the same situation together, and get support from each other.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
During this process, you will feel confused, self-doubted, lonely, and all sort of negative feelings. I hope this thread can bring people who are in the same situation together, and get support from each other.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
I understand the immediate task is to focus on A Level exam, and then prepare for BMAT. Anybody has any other thoughts/suggestions?
Laycity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wanttofly)
I understand the immediate task is to focus on A Level exam, and then prepare for BMAT. Anybody has any other thoughts/suggestions?
Has he had any other interviews or got any coming up? Has he got any other offers?
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laycity)
Has he had any other interviews or got any coming up? Has he got any other offers?
He has been To KCL interview, but no offer yet, still no news from UCL.
Laycity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He has been To KCL interview, but no offer yet, still no news from UCL.
And his 4th choice? So he would turn any offer down and reapply to Cambridge next year, that is what your initial post is implying?
wanttofly
Rep:
?
Yes, do you mind I ask what is your situation?
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laycity)
And his 4th choice? So he would turn any offer down and reapply to Cambridge next year, that is what your initial post is implying?
He applied Cam, IC, UCL and KCL, didn’t take the non-medicine option.
TCL
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My son has just been rejected by Cambridge on re-application although he had A*A*A in science/maths subjects, 7.0,6.8 in BMAT, olympiad golds and went to a low-performing non-selective state school. Medicine is REALLY competitive!

My advice is:
- request feedback from the college (most colleges require your school to request it on your behalf). There is likely to be a deadline for submitting the request and they may take 6 weeks or so to get back to you.
- if he gets an offer from UCL or King's, think very carefully before declining them. For medicine it does not matter where you study for your future career.
- if he does not get any offers and gets A*A*A or better in his A levels, then of course he can re-apply. Definitely do the August BMAT as he would know where he stood before submitting the UCAS form.
- general advice is not to re-apply to the same college

Good luck!
apocathix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TCL)
My son has just been rejected by Cambridge on re-application although he had A*A*A in science/maths subjects, 7.0,6.8 in BMAT, olympiad golds and went to a low-performing non-selective state school. Medicine is REALLY competitive!

My advice is:
- request feedback from the college (most colleges require your school to request it on your behalf). There is likely to be a deadline for submitting the request and they may take 6 weeks or so to get back to you.
- if he gets an offer from UCL or King's, think very carefully before declining them. For medicine it does not matter where you study for your future career.
- if he does not get any offers and gets A*A*A or better in his A levels, then of course he can re-apply. Definitely do the August BMAT as he would know where he stood before submitting the UCAS form.

Good luck!
I don't want to sound condescending but A*A*A is the borderline medicine offer, it's very unlikely a re-applicant will get in with just that. Good interview performance and BMAT is essential for those with borderline grades. I suspect if your son would have achieved 3 or 4 A*s they would have got it.
So to the OP of this thread, your son will need to work really hard and ensure there are no negative parts of his application to have a non risky(ish) application especially considering the gap year.
Best of luck to your son in his future studies.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCL)

My advice is:

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your advice. I have read your posts in other threads, I am sorry about your son being rejected, he is really competitive, do you know where went wrong in his application? My son has emailed Fitz asking for feedback, but we think more likely, it was his interview letting him down. He was so nervous and felt sick before walking into the interview room.
msd1974
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by apocathix)
I don't want to sound condescending but A*A*A is the borderline medicine offer, it's very unlikely a re-applicant will get in with just that. Good interview performance and BMAT is essential for those with borderline grades. I suspect if your son would have achieved 3 or 4 A*s they would have got it.
So to the OP of this thread, your son will need to work really hard and ensure there are no negative parts of his application to have a non risky(ish) application especially considering the gap year.
Why do you feel A*A*A is bordeline when most med schools including Oxbridge offer on those grades and lower?
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by apocathix)
Thank you very much for your information. My son has got 4 A* predicted, but he understands he must get 4 A* in final A Level with high raw marks in order to reapply.
msd1974
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your information. My son has got 4 A* predicted, but he understands he must get 4 A* in final A Level with high raw marks in order to reapply.
Reformed A levels do not give out UMS as far as I understand. So all Cambridge would know is your grade and not UMS or the raw mark.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by msd1974)
Why do you feel A*A*A is bordeline when most med schools including Oxbridge offer on those grades and lower?
We know someone got in with lower BMAT and lower A Level, but there must be a reason, for them to be accepted, he/she must be extremely good on some part (or very lucky ), we hope so.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by msd1974)
Reformed A levels do not give out UMS as far as I understand. So all Cambridge would know is your grade and not UMS or the raw mark.
Sounds like a good news , thanks
msd1974
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We know someone got in with lower BMAT and lower A Level, but there must be a reason, for them to be accepted, he/she must be extremely good on some part (or very lucky ), we hope so.
Two possible factors - great interview and/or possible contextual candidate
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why reapply though? Cambridge doesn't offer anything 'special' for Medicine - he should accept the best offer he gets this year.
wanttofly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why reapply though? Cambridge doesn't offer anything 'special' for Medicine - he should accept the best offer he gets this year.
No, it doesn’t in terms of medicine qualifications. My understanding is that it is just a personal preference, just like somebody likes living in a big city, some others prefer country life. Either way, one can get decent life. No right or wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads