How to improve on permutations and combinations? Watch

Xxz39
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am doing CIE A-Level maths S1 and I can’t seem to do permutations and combinations questions. I’m so bad at them that I can only get around two to three questions correct in a worksheet.

I find it hard to understand when to use factorial instead of permutations or combination or when to combine factorial with permutations and combinations.

I’ve done around 5 worksheets and I still haven’t improved much. Sometimes I even read a question and don’t know where to start at all. I’ve watched videos on YouTube but it doesn’t help. This is the most difficult topic I’ve encountered so far and I don’t know what to do now.
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xxz39)
I am doing CIE A-Level maths S1 and I can’t seem to do permutations and combinations questions. I’m so bad at them that I can only get around two to three questions correct in a worksheet.

I find it hard to understand when to use factorial instead of permutations or combination or when to combine factorial with permutations and combinations.

I’ve done around 5 worksheets and I still haven’t improved much. Sometimes I even read a question and don’t know where to start at all. I’ve watched videos on YouTube but it doesn’t help. This is the most difficult topic I’ve encountered so far and I don’t know what to do now.
I feel your pain; I’m pretty hopeless at combinations and permutations. My advice would be to watch the Khan Academy videos - they’re great. Although I used to understand them, then still never be able to get the questions right. Oh well. Also, I recommend ‘An Introduction To Combinatorics’ by UKMT. Again - really interesting (the bit I read of it anyway - I tend to dip in and out of maths books), but somewhat more advanced. Good luck
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xxz39)

Boring answer is to post questions (here) you're unsure about and be clear that you want only hints / post your thoughts about it. Don't be afraid of posting wrong ideas, thats how you learn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?