The Student Room Group

Spanish or Geography A Level?

I am a year 12 student who is currently trying to decide whether to discontinue Spanish or geography. Several of my teachers have said that I should continue with Spanish and take geography to an AS, however I feel as though Spanish will stress me out more in the long run. In my mocks, I got Cs in both subjects which makes my decision only more difficult to make. I also take English and sociology. I got an A in sociology which to me just proves that I should be taking that as an A Level over other subjects and I got a C in English (with timing issues).

My geography teacher is very confident that I could get a decent A Level in the subject, but so is my Spanish teacher.

Please help, I am a very stressed student currently and am finding this decision incredibly difficult to make.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Thank you very much.
Spanish is a very useful language. With the exception of Brazil all the countries below the USA speak it, and it's also spoken by many in the USA, Puerto Rico, as well as Spain, of course. Do you really think you would find Geography anywhere near as useful?
Reply 2
Original post by David Getling
Spanish is a very useful language. With the exception of Brazil all the countries below the USA speak it, and it's also spoken by many in the USA, Puerto Rico, as well as Spain, of course. Do you really think you would find Geography anywhere near as useful?

Hi David, thank you so much for your reply to this! A month later, and I've decided to continue with Spanish as an A Level. I'm doing extra revision and working twice as hard and I'm coming to understand it a lot better now! Thank you so much for your advice almost a month ago, it really did assist me in making this decision.

- Jaz
Reply 3
What do you want to do at university?

I agree with the point David Getling has made about Spanish - you may well get lifelong benefits from studying it.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
What do you want to do at university?

I agree with the point David Getling has made about Spanish - you may well get lifelong benefits from studying it.

I think I'd like to become a teacher at the moment... I'm not sure what subject I want to teach yet, but I know that that is something that I want to do....

And I totally agree too! I've gone on now, almost a month after the original post, to make the decision to take it at a level, and it's going a lot better than it was a month ago. Still difficult, but then again a levels are difficult....

Quick Reply

Latest