Is there a central register for UK universities to check degrees? Watch

nomadis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can UK universities check previously earned degrees from the UK for the purpose of verification etc.? I did a masters long ago, about 10 years and wouldn't like to mention it in a PhD application because I'm working on another MA and expect its results to be better than the previous one.
Catherine1973
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought you did have to list all exams entered into if asked (ie ucas want you to) and it would against regulations to not disclose if asked to do so.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nomadis)
Can UK universities check previously earned degrees from the UK for the purpose of verification etc.? I did a masters long ago, about 10 years and wouldn't like to mention it in a PhD application because I'm working on another MA and expect its results to be better than the previous one.
There is no central repository, but the above poster is wrong, the application form will require you to report all previous University study/qualifications.

Maybe you should consider what your chances would be if all other applicants lied in their applications as comfortably as you seem happy to?
nomadis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam547)
Yes, employers and admissions staff can request to verify an award if this have reason to suspect the document you provide illegitimate. However, as far as I'm aware unless stated by the university you are applying to, you are not obliged to tell them of all of your qualifications if you don't want to. So you should be able to just submit a transcript of your current masters and they won't be searching up about previous degrees unless you present them in your application.
Cool, thanks Sam547! Yes, I have nothing to hide but I want to be selective in presenting my application. I need to be clear though whether they are asking for 'everything'. Much appreciated.
nomadis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I thought you did have to list all exams entered into if asked (ie ucas want you to) and it would against regulations to not disclose if asked to do so.
Thanks @catherine1973, well yes the thing to look for is whether they want to know everything.
nomadis
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There is no central repository, but the above poster is wrong, the application form will require you to report all previous University study/qualifications.

Maybe you should consider what your chances would be if all other applicants lied in their applications as comfortably as you seem happy to?
@threeportdrift hey thanks! Well of course if the form requires me to report 'everything' I will because I have nothing to hide and I don't want to. But I want to be selective as I have said, to present my previous qualification, IF they are not looking for all past records. I'm not happy at all about providing a false answer, I also have a three year language diploma and a year-long photojournalism diploma but I don't include them everywhere. With a 10-year old masters and a recent two-year masters, I want to only fulfill the requirement for PhD application by putting in the recent one if they are not looking for every single academic degree. There's nothing to hide or lie about
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nomadis)
@threeportdrift hey thanks! Well of course if the form requires me to report 'everything' I will because I have nothing to hide and I don't want to. But I want to be selective as I have said, to present my previous qualification, IF they are not looking for all past records. I'm not happy at all about providing a false answer, I also have a three year language diploma and a year-long photojournalism diploma but I don't include them everywhere. With a 10-year old masters and a recent two-year masters, I want to only fulfill the requirement for PhD application by putting in the recent one if they are not looking for every single academic degree. There's nothing to hide or lie about
I've never met a PG application that didn't ask for ALL university education. It's a standard question, "Please give details of all tertiary education since the age of 18" - or words to that effect. It's not like a CV where you can be selective.
nomadis
Rep:
?
I've never met a PG application that didn't ask for ALL university education. It's a standard question, "Please give details of all tertiary education since the age of 18" - or words to that effect. It's not like a CV where you can be selective.
Fair enough, I'll watch out for that
nomadis
Rep:
?

@threeportdrift Hey, out of curiosity started filling up a Uni of London PhD application to its completion, there's nothing that says I have to fill in "everything" - it only looks for the 'required' degree. They ask: "Do you have qualifications that support your application?" and then asks to upload required documents in reference to that and there's one for undergraduate, one for postgraduate, I can enter additional ones if I want to, the UG+PG are the required ones. I may have three masters, two diplomas blah blah, I guess I need only to report what is required?
Last edited by nomadis; 4 weeks ago
Slickdave
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know but it doesn't matter because employers don't check. I got my current job with a 1st Class BA degree from Bransfield University!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?