Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I’m currently looking at the open university option as I’m not a fan of leaving home just yet :lol:.

Has anybody studied psychology as a degree at OU? Or any other degree, what is it like? Your thoughts on doing an OU degree?

As a side note, I’d be happy to hear views from people studying/studied psychology at university!

Thanks all
Last edited by Hazelly; 1 month ago
_.Someone_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm currently in my first year of an OU psych degree! I actually quite enjoy it tbh, and I much prefer being able to independently study on my own. They're also really good at having both in school tutoring sessions and online sessions, haven't been to an in-school session, but the online tutoring session was good. Definitely an option to look at!
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by _.Someone_)
I'm currently in my first year of an OU psych degree! I actually quite enjoy it tbh, and I much prefer being able to independently study on my own. They're also really good at having both in school tutoring sessions and online sessions, haven't been to an in-school session, but the online tutoring session was good. Definitely an option to look at!
What are you expected to do in the first year, I’m guessing a lot of essay writing? Is there examinations alongside the OU degree?

It does look good when looking at the prospectus documents etc

Mind if I ask what your career goal is? In the sense of post graduate etc? Thanks for replying!
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
-Eirlys- did I make up that you've done psychology modules with the OU?
Last edited by Lemur14; 1 month ago
_.Someone_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hazelly)
What are you expected to do in the first year, I’m guessing a lot of essay writing? Is there examinations alongside the OU degree?

It does look good when looking at the prospectus documents etc

Mind if I ask what your career goal is? In the sense of post graduate etc? Thanks for replying!
For the two modules I'm signed up for, I've got 9TMAs and then 2 iCMAs this year, then 2 EMAs at the end of the modules. Most of the TMAs are essay writing from the range of like 750 words to 1250-1500. EMAs are 1500 words and iCMAs are computer marked assessments so I have no idea what they include. Career-wise I'm thinking I'll go to a brick university for my postgraduate studies, and I'm thinking something to do with mental health.
As for examinations, I'm not sure for the whole of the psych degree, but for the first year, all of the assessments are something you can complete at home on your computer/laptop
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
-Eirlys- did I make up that you've done psychology modules with the OU?
You've got a good memory - I'm doing a psych degree with the OU.
Hello,

I’m currently looking at the open university option as I’m not a fan of leaving home just yet :lol:.

Has anybody studied psychology as a degree at OU? Or any other degree, what is it like? Your thoughts on doing an OU degree?

As a side note, I’d be happy to hear views from people studying/studied psychology at university!

Thanks all
I'm a current, level 2 psychology student. I'd recommend reading my blog which has followed my journey up until now (it's a bit of a mess - you've been warned :lol:). I also wrote something for new OU students here. They may give you a lot of info about the experience.
In general though, I've had a good experience of the OU and if you don't want to leave home and/or continue to earn money, but still do a degree, I highly recommend it.
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

Thanks all
I did my BSc Psychology with Counselling with the OU and graduated with a First last year! I loved studying at my own pace, but also found the forums and tutors really supportive. I loved the course as a whole. Lots of essays, reports, posters, but only one exam for me! The icmas were all multiple choice tests, mostly related to statistics.

I'm now doing an MSc at Manchester Met!

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you will love it!

Loren
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nerol)
I did my BSc Psychology with Counselling with the OU and graduated with a First last year! I loved studying at my own pace, but also found the forums and tutors really supportive. I loved the course as a whole. Lots of essays, reports, posters, but only one exam for me! The icmas were all multiple choice tests, mostly related to statistics.

I'm now doing an MSc at Manchester Met!

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you will love it!

Loren
Hi,

Thanks for replying! How are you finding the masters? Is it good?
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
You've got a good memory - I'm doing a psych degree with the OU.

I'm a current, level 2 psychology student. I'd recommend reading my blog which has followed my journey up until now (it's a bit of a mess - you've been warned :lol:). I also wrote something for new OU students here. They may give you a lot of info about the experience.
In general though, I've had a good experience of the OU and if you don't want to leave home and/or continue to earn money, but still do a degree, I highly recommend it.
(Original post by _.Someone_)
For the two modules I'm signed up for, I've got 9TMAs and then 2 iCMAs this year, then 2 EMAs at the end of the modules. Most of the TMAs are essay writing from the range of like 750 words to 1250-1500. EMAs are 1500 words and iCMAs are computer marked assessments so I have no idea what they include. Career-wise I'm thinking I'll go to a brick university for my postgraduate studies, and I'm thinking something to do with mental health.
As for examinations, I'm not sure for the whole of the psych degree, but for the first year, all of the assessments are something you can complete at home on your computer/laptop
Hello,

I'll have a look at the blog now, thanks! . I'm honestly not sure what I want to do, lately, I've been getting mixed reviews regarding the psychology degree. In regards to people saying its a "useless" degree, then to people saying it's great. I think I need to do a bit more research into the psychology degree at brick university as well as OU. Also, thanks for going into details of the modules/tasks you have to complete. It helps a lot
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Thanks for replying! How are you finding the masters? Is it good?
Hey!

I'm loving it! It's not easy, but it's interesting. I'm also starting a placement for it next week, very excited about that! It's all great experience.

Loren
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nerol)
Hey!

I'm loving it! It's not easy, but it's interesting. I'm also starting a placement for it next week, very excited about that! It's all great experience.

Loren
Do you mind me asking what your placement is?
Last edited by Hazelly; 3 weeks ago
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you mind me asking what your placement is?
I'm not completely sure yet, but it's at Tameside, Oldham and Glossop Mind, so I assume it'll involve shadowing therapy sessions or something like that.

Loren
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads