Paper_in_ASHES
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,
I am an average alevel student doing chemistry, biology and mathematics.
And lately i had mocks and my exam anxiety took over me and i didn't do so well. However this has been going on for soo long i had it since primary and in gcses, my mum has the same problem so maybe its genetic i don't know but it's not just exams it's also things like interviews.
To put my theory to test i did my mock with everyone in exam conditions then i did the same mock with my friends comfortably but the results were sooo different. I messed up on the 1st one in exam conditions and passed the one without. During exams my mind goes blank i panic and the time pressure makes me forget everything. I have asked help from my teachers and my teacher started meditation sessions with me but this mock wasn't much different from the others i failed in. I revise soooooo much but i don't see the results. I don't know how to tackle this. I know i need doctors report to maybe get extra time but i don't know if extra time will help me. Please let me know if you know anyone like me that manage to overcome it and do really well in exams because even if i pass my alevels i still have university and many other tests to overcome.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. T_T
Elongatedbart
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
During my GCSES I felt that I was going insane, I had to walk round the house in certain ways like avoiding the rug, in order to get good gcses. I also had to breathe in a particular way. I was going mad. However, when I got my gcses results some of them weren't great - I quickly realised doing of those rituals were pointless. So i managed to get into sixth form and now I can study well without ruining my mind. Just know that ur anxiety is good, it shows u care about the exams - a tad too much. don't worry. make sure u get breaks all the time and work towards a reward . you'll do fine.
your anxiety is worse than mine - but just know there's lots of stuff out their to help u - just don't get burnt out.
Paper_in_ASHES
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elongatedbart)
During my GCSES I felt that I was going insane, I had to walk round the house in certain ways like avoiding the rug, in order to get good gcses. I also had to breathe in a particular way. I was going mad. However, when I got my gcses results some of them weren't great - I quickly realised doing of those rituals were pointless. So i managed to get into sixth form and now I can study well without ruining my mind. Just know that ur anxiety is good, it shows u care about the exams - a tad too much. don't worry. make sure u get breaks all the time and work towards a reward . you'll do fine.
your anxiety is worse than mine - but just know there's lots of stuff out their to help u - just don't get burnt out.
Thank you soooooooooooo much for your reply it was sooo helpful and relatable. In gcse i used to get alot of stones for good luck, anti stress, happiness etc but at the end just like you i realised it was pointless and what grade you get is what you do in exam and not what rituals you do. However at the end of gcses some of my results weren't that great like yours because i didn't care about those subjects the subjects i cared about except maths went well chemistry and biology was my strongest area. But the problem was i could of got even better grades if i didn't panic during the exam. I remember shaking in chemistry gcse because i kept telling myself i can't do alevel chemistry if i dont pass. But now that i meditate my negative thoughts went but my exam anxiety did not. And now I don't know how to get rid of it i just want to pass i want to get to university but this.... This exam anxiety is making it hard for me and my health because the more i don't see the results the more i revise harder to see it. I am revising too much and ruining myself. Because the moment i don't pass again my self esteem drops below making me head straight to depression and i keep saying i am doing everything why am i not seeing the results i want. It's all because of my anxiety
zaraoof
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Paper_in_ASHES)
Hello,
I am an average alevel student doing chemistry, biology and mathematics.
And lately i had mocks and my exam anxiety took over me and i didn't do so well. However this has been going on for soo long i had it since primary and in gcses, my mum has the same problem so maybe its genetic i don't know but it's not just exams it's also things like interviews.
To put my theory to test i did my mock with everyone in exam conditions then i did the same mock with my friends comfortably but the results were sooo different. I messed up on the 1st one in exam conditions and passed the one without. During exams my mind goes blank i panic and the time pressure makes me forget everything. I have asked help from my teachers and my teacher started meditation sessions with me but this mock wasn't much different from the others i failed in. I revise soooooo much but i don't see the results. I don't know how to tackle this. I know i need doctors report to maybe get extra time but i don't know if extra time will help me. Please let me know if you know anyone like me that manage to overcome it and do really well in exams because even if i pass my alevels i still have university and many other tests to overcome.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. T_T
heyy
im realising that quality over quantity is really true tbh. maybe you did soo much revision, but you should try to change your revision strategy, for better end results hopefully. if you used written techniques for revision, maybe try doing some more practical revision, by watching videos, or getting someone else who is an expert to explain it to you.(depending if you have access to anyone). also, try getting more familiar with exam papers, if that causes you to panic, like the layout of the exam paper and the paper itself. try looking for past papers and hopefully you'll be more used to the whole experience during the real thing. im rooting for you((: x
Paper_in_ASHES
Rep:
?
(Original post by zaraoof)
heyy
im realising that quality over quantity is really true tbh. maybe you did soo much revision, but you should try to change your revision strategy, for better end results hopefully. if you used written techniques for revision, maybe try doing some more practical revision, by watching videos, or getting someone else who is an expert to explain it to you.(depending if you have access to anyone). also, try getting more familiar with exam papers, if that causes you to panic, like the layout of the exam paper and the paper itself. try looking for past papers and hopefully you'll be more used to the whole experience during the real thing. im rooting for you((: x
Thank you soooooooooooo much for your beautiful reply. Honestly i been doing too much of everything lately maybe i should just stop and relax for a bit. But you are really correct i think i need to do more exam papers and see how to do them in a different technique that can stop my anxiety because i realised that i panic more in the beginning of the exam and maybe i need to do long answer questions first to make my brain start working then do the basic ones because my mind goes blank at the beginning of exam with easier questions i know answer of. Hope everything goes well for you to thank you for your help.
zaraoof
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no problem! if you're confident with starting with long answer questions first i highly recommend,, then you dont have to stress about not having enough time to do them at the end
Elongatedbart
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Paper_in_ASHES)
Thank you soooooooooooo much for your reply it was sooo helpful and relatable. In gcse i used to get alot of stones for good luck, anti stress, happiness etc but at the end just like you i realised it was pointless and what grade you get is what you do in exam and not what rituals you do. However at the end of gcses some of my results weren't that great like yours because i didn't care about those subjects the subjects i cared about except maths went well chemistry and biology was my strongest area. But the problem was i could of got even better grades if i didn't panic during the exam. I remember shaking in chemistry gcse because i kept telling myself i can't do alevel chemistry if i dont pass. But now that i meditate my negative thoughts went but my exam anxiety did not. And now I don't know how to get rid of it i just want to pass i want to get to university but this.... This exam anxiety is making it hard for me and my health because the more i don't see the results the more i revise harder to see it. I am revising too much and ruining myself. Because the moment i don't pass again my self esteem drops below making me head straight to depression and i keep saying i am doing everything why am i not seeing the results i want. It's all because of my anxiety
I think you have knowledge and all of that. I believe your anxiety is clouding it all and preventing u from reaching your full potential. Just tell yourself, whatever the outcome , that you'll be fine. When your anxious revising stop for a bit. Go for a walk, its quite surprising how much better you feel after that. In the exam do not worry, breathe, read the question twice, write little reminders and take it slow - maybe tell your examiners or school about your anxiety and they may adjust your timings for the better. Just don't worry about it, I know its hard to do that, but when your feeling awful just stop and do something entertaining for some time.

I really hope your anxiety will reduce and I know that you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (470)
66.67%
No (235)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed