warraichemaan8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi i really want to code a buying and selling website like ebay or amazon but i have no idea how to do this or how i would even go about learning to code to that skill level as i can only really do html at the moment, can anyone please help i would really appreciate it!
Owenstampy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by warraichemaan8)
hi i really want to code a buying and selling website like ebay or amazon but i have no idea how to do this or how i would even go about learning to code to that skill level as i can only really do html at the moment, can anyone please help i would really appreciate it!
wow that is certainly a big step. I would set up some web hosting and start learning basic php (I assume you know html if not start with that first) there's plenty of books out there to take you from the basics.

Also I highly recommend playing about with an open source CMS called user spice (you might even want to base it off it).

From playing about with it you will gradually pick up PHP and some SQL.

If you need any help just pm me I'm happy to help
Strange5050
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Building e-commerce websites seems a bit of a large jump for you. From what it seems you're fairly new to HTML. My advise, is the likes of Amazon and Ebay are huge, as in these website consist of lots of code, and has been built and managed by fairly large teams. Learn to crawl before you can walk, this is clearly a learning curve for you that will be much to steep for you to be able to climb.

Don't start with e-commerce websites, master the basic website and then master adding more complicated techniques. Such as transitions ect.. with CSS (I assume you've used CSS as you've done some HTML), I would also learn to add interactivity and other features using JavaScript and as Owenstampy mentioned above, PHP. Once you understand these languages, which are pretty much mandatory for web development, and you've utlised them on small scale 'do-able' projects then experiement slowly. But don't take such a big leap, it'll be immensely difficult.

As for where you can learn to improve your skills, YouTube and sites such as Udemy have excellent material in the forms of videos and courses that can help massively. A simple search of 'HTML/CSS for beginners' or 'JavaScript Web Design' or along those lines will provide you with a vital starting point, look around there's plenty of resources out there.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is your goal to make the website to start your own business with it? Or is your goal to learn to code?

If your goal is to build something for a business then you can find some customisable e-commerce builder systems which will essentially take care of most of the technical stuff for you - for example, Wordpress, Wix and Shopify (do a Google search for e-commerce builders for more options). There'll obviously be some financial costs involved, but for someone starting out to set up a small business without wanting to spend 6-12 months learning to code, these services are really useful and provide a lot of options/customisation while needing minimal technical expertise.

Otherwise, for learning web development, there's a mountain of excellent free online resources that you could follow:

It might also help to get involved with some learn-to-code communities as well - have a look at Codenewbie.org and Codebuddies.org
Last edited by winterscoming; 4 weeks ago
warraichemaan8
Rep:
?
(Original post by winterscoming)
Is your goal to make the website to start your own business with it? Or is your goal to learn to code?

If your goal is to build something for a business then you can find some customisable e-commerce builder systems which will essentially take care of most of the technical stuff for you - for example, Wordpress, Wix and Shopify (do a Google search for e-commerce builders for more options). There'll obviously be some financial costs involved, but for someone starting out to set up a small business without wanting to spend 6-12 months learning to code, these services are really useful and provide a lot of options/customisation while needing minimal technical expertise.

Otherwise, for learning web development, there's a mountain of excellent free online resources that you could follow:

It might also help to get involved with some learn-to-code communities as well - have a look at Codenewbie.org and Codebuddies.org
thanks so much! do you think in your opinion that sites like wordpress and wix ect would be abe to be transformed into a buying and selling website? as i was unable to do this with my shopify but maybe i was ignorant to some specific way that this could be done. no worries if u dont know and thanks so much for the advice this is so helpful
warraichemaan8
Rep:
?
thanks so much! do you think in your opinion that sites like wordpress and wix ect would be abe to be transformed into a buying and selling website? as i was unable to do this with my shopify but maybe i was ignorant to some specific way that this could be done. no worries if u dont know and thanks so much for the advice this is so helpful
and my main goal is to build a business rly
warraichemaan8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strange5050)
Building e-commerce websites seems a bit of a large jump for you. From what it seems you're fairly new to HTML. My advise, is the likes of Amazon and Ebay are huge, as in these website consist of lots of code, and has been built and managed by fairly large teams. Learn to crawl before you can walk, this is clearly a learning curve for you that will be much to steep for you to be able to climb.

Don't start with e-commerce websites, master the basic website and then master adding more complicated techniques. Such as transitions ect.. with CSS (I assume you've used CSS as you've done some HTML), I would also learn to add interactivity and other features using JavaScript and as Owenstampy mentioned above, PHP. Once you understand these languages, which are pretty much mandatory for web development, and you've utlised them on small scale 'do-able' projects then experiement slowly. But don't take such a big leap, it'll be immensely difficult.

As for where you can learn to improve your skills, YouTube and sites such as Udemy have excellent material in the forms of videos and courses that can help massively. A simple search of 'HTML/CSS for beginners' or 'JavaScript Web Design' or along those lines will provide you with a vital starting point, look around there's plenty of resources out there.
thankyou so much for your help!!
mfreshwater1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally found that online courses were the best way into programming for me. This could be just watching 2/3 hour tutorials on youtube or buying a course on an E-learning site such as Udemy - they've got a lot of complete mastery courses on there which obviously isn't going to directly mean you're on 25k a year at the end, I'm sure you would understand this. Just go through as many tutorials as you can is what I would say. I personally watched through all of this and found it was very good: https://www.udemy.com/share/101WcUBkIbclhVQXg=/
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When you say 'buying and selling', I'm guessing you mean something like an auction site? (You mentioned ebay anyway, which obviously was the first ever 'auction' website when it started.)

I don't know specifically how you'd do that with Wix (it would probably be a plugin) but the best thing to do would be to look at the popular options to do some research around the stuff that's already available, then compare them to find out which one actually suits what you're trying to do, and then contact their sales/support as well to ask them to recommend the best way to do because they should know whether it's something you can configure, or maybe you'd need to buy a plugin on top, etc.

Shopify has an auction plugin too, maybe that would be useful and solve the problem you had last time? https://apps.shopify.com/product-auction

I expect Wordpress probably has an auction plugin too, although everything about WordPress has a steeper learning curve and needs a bit more work and time to learn it

Otherwise, the kind of stuff to think about
- How much of a learning curve are you willing to go through?
- What features are absolutely 100% essential and which can you do without while you're getting started?
- How much customisation do you really need from a pragmatic point of view?
- What can you afford (think time as well as money)
- How good is their customer service/support, etc if you get stuck and need help with something? Or their docs/guides/etc.

Also it looks like there are other 'auction site' builders out there, it could be worth investigating this one: https://www.easy.auction/featurestable.php

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.47%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
27.13%
No (91)
48.4%

Watched Threads