The Student Room Group

Moving away for apprenticeship at 18 advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fifi1610
If anyone thinks it’s a good idea to make a group chat on fb or something message me!!

If you have any questions about EY let me know, it may be easier to move this to fb or whatever else
Hi, i was planning to also move out for my apprenticeship, except i was planning to live more in central london, (im on the outskirts of london) but as you know it is super expensive just for a basic 1 bedroom flat it is £800-1000 :frown: . doubt ill be able to afford that ..
Original post by togs11
Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying for apprenticeships and many of the schemes which I would like to be part of are quite far away.

This would most likely mean that I'd have to move away from home at 18 yo and I'm not sure if I'd be able to financially.

I am wondering if anybody has been in this position before and how you have managed to do this?
I am also asking for general advice in terms of bills and such?

Hi OP @togs11, when I was going to move out, I did this:-

If you google 'rent affordability calculator uk' and put your potential apprenticeship salary in, it'll give you an estimate of the maximum monthly rent you should/can pay.

Go onto Spare Room or a similar site and make an ad for the area you're looking in laying out your requirements, stating clearly that your total monthly budget including bills is that £x amount and then landlords and agents will be in touch with you with offers of rooms/places that fit your requirements.

That way, you can be contacted by people who have read and know what you need and if they contact you it means that they have something to offer that fits the bill instead of you trawling through the web.

Make sure to check rent deposits and any other costs too, good idea to be saving and piling up cash (if you're not already) to prepare!
Reply 23
Original post by xannypunanny
Hi OP @togs11, when I was going to move out, I did this:-

If you google 'rent affordability calculator uk' and put your potential apprenticeship salary in, it'll give you an estimate of the maximum monthly rent you should/can pay.

Go onto Spare Room or a similar site and make an ad for the area you're looking in laying out your requirements, stating clearly that your total monthly budget including bills is that £x amount and then landlords and agents will be in touch with you with offers of rooms/places that fit your requirements.

That way, you can be contacted by people who have read and know what you need and if they contact you it means that they have something to offer that fits the bill instead of you trawling through the web.

Make sure to check rent deposits and any other costs too, good idea to be saving and piling up cash (if you're not already) to prepare!

Hello

Thank you for your advice and experience.

I have checked out what you have mentioned and will definitely use that when/if I move out. It seems to be very useful :smile:
i applied to the amex one too in burgess hill, have u been invited to assessment cnetre?
Original post by Gent2324
i applied to the amex one too in burgess hill, have u been invited to assessment cnetre?

Same here
No I haven't, you?
Have you finished the Codility test?
yes I did the test in October and got invited to digital interview and then assessment centre next week but I decided to drop it because it would be hard relocating there
Original post by Gent2324
yes I did the test in October and got invited to digital interview and then assessment centre next week but I decided to drop it because it would be hard relocating there

Ah okay. How was the Codility test?
hard but I don't think they are massively bothered about the time complexity and what not. I got a bit annoyed when the interviewer said you don't need any coding knowledge after I had just done a coding test that is the same difficult as a graduate software dev job. have you done the codility test?
Hi! I know this is an old thread so sorry about this but I saw that you were considering moving to London for an apprenticeship and was wondering if you’re still going down this route. I too took a gap year and I am looking to move to London for an apprenticeship this year but don’t know anyone else who is so thought I would reach out :smile:
Hey! Sorry for the late - I too am in the same boat as you (gap year) and starting an apprenticeship where I would have to move to London. Just wondering if you still are as I don’t know anyone else and would be nice to know people :smile:

Original post by fifi1610
Hi I’m in the same position but 19 (gap year!)
Original post by togs11
Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying for apprenticeships and many of the schemes which I would like to be part of are quite far away.

This would most likely mean that I'd have to move away from home at 18 yo and I'm not sure if I'd be able to financially.

I am wondering if anybody has been in this position before and how you have managed to do this?
I am also asking for general advice in terms of bills and such?

I'm thinking about doing a degree apprentice next year, the salary around £1,500 a month. I will likely be moving to Manchester. I am worried about finances, I'm a big saver so don't want to be staking out over 50% of my salary on rent. Does anyone in a similar position have any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending