Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
EDIT: deleted
Last edited by username5104046; 1 day ago
Caffe_sean1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied last year but did not end up with Gates - but I do still remember time line from last year

Think around end of Jan / early Feb is when department finalise their nomination list and give out degree offers (if you don't get an offer by mid Feb then it is pretty much end of the game)

Then it enters sort of a background stage where Gates team filter applications and narrow down to short list for interview, the invitation of which will be sent out in early March

If you don't get an invitation on the first week of March you're out and you'll get an email informing you that you're out of the game by mid March

Interviews around end of March every year
astrotemp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by neuropathology)
Hi!
I applied to Gates Cambridge for an MPhil in Basic and Translational Neuroscience as an international applicant. Does anyone know the approximate timeline? I submitted in the first week of January.

Are there any previous award holders who can comment on indications of what we can expect? Or if there are signs to look out for?

Thanks!
Sure! I applied last year and won. The timeline for me was (for the physical sciences panel):

5:30pm 4th March - Invited to interview
9:25am 27th March - Interview
4:00pm 29th March - Offer
DavyDeng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by neuropathology)
Thank you for your reply astrotemp !

Caffe_sean1 Thanks for your response. Ah, I think it's the end of the game. I didn't hear back for interviews for this course and it's mid-February now. That's too bad. : (

Congrats to those who got a spot!
I am in the same situation. In fact my portal just said "submitted" ever since I submitted my app in Jan. I emailed my department today (genomic medicine mphil), and they said that they have been looking at applications last week and will send in the nomination shortly. I feel like It's super late for them to just start looking at applications last week in my opinion since the program requires an interview too. I am not sure if they have finished reviewing the apps yet but I have yet received an interview invite for the program, perhaps your mphil program also just started reviewing the applications they received...But yeah I think it doesn't look good for Gates

astrotemp I understand that you won Gates last year, to your knowledge, do they ever send in the nomination without already sending out the offer first? Thank you!
astrotemp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DavyDeng)
astrotemp I understand that you won Gates last year, to your knowledge, do they ever send in the nomination without already sending out the offer first? Thank you!
I got my official, conditional course offer at the end of February last year, but I don't know how it'd work for any other department. What time you get your actual offer is pretty arbitrary because the online portal isn't live updated (so you may be at GAO and it won't say that). I got an unofficial acceptance by the department at the end of January though, so it took a few weeks to go through all the admin. You could already have an offer coming and not know it. I don't know when Gates nominations are due by.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads