Jinwon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If there are 2 currents of equal magnitude going in the same direction that have a distance d apart, do their magnetic fields add up or cancel out?
Moonbow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
series or parallel
Jinwon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
series or parallel
Name:  65A2C00D-FC31-4922-8235-BBF3921E7FD7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  28.5 KB
I’m confused about 4a
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe Q for (i) as the magnetic field is strongest in the middle
I think s for second
not sure for last...
So so sorry if its A level, I haven't got there yet

Wish the best of luck!
cba2thinkofauser
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jinwon)
Name:  65A2C00D-FC31-4922-8235-BBF3921E7FD7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  28.5 KB
I’m confused about 4a
Wouldnt the magnetic field be strongest at Q? Since the wire is coming out of the paper and if you use the right hand rule, you’d find that the magnetic field lines are going in the same direction. This means that they would ATTRACT. The magnetic field lines would overlap and create a maximum.
Jinwon
Rep:
?
(Original post by cba2thinkofauser)
Wouldnt the magnetic field be strongest at Q? Since the wire is coming out of the paper and if you use the right hand rule, you’d find that the magnetic field lines are going in the same direction. This means that they would ATTRACT. The magnetic field lines would overlap and create a maximum.
Yeah, I’m a bit confused as to why they would create a maximum though. Why wouldn’t they cancel?
cba2thinkofauser
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The magnetic field lines where they overlap add up. So surely if the magnetic field is going in the same direction, it should maximise. Btw If you’re doing A Level Physics, it’s kind of like the concept of superposition of waves.
Jinwon
Rep:
?
(Original post by cba2thinkofauser)
The magnetic field lines where they overlap add up. So surely if the magnetic field is going in the same direction, it should maximise. Btw If you’re doing A Level Physics, it’s kind of like the concept of superposition of waves.
So surely if both currents are coming out of the page, at that point in the middle, one would be travelling counter clockwise and the other would be clockwise. Therefore they would cancel?
cba2thinkofauser
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jinwon)
So surely if both currents are coming out of the page, at that point in the middle, one would be travelling counter clockwise and the other would be clockwise. Therefore they would cancel?
You’re right in saying that both currents are coming out of the page, but actually both magnetic fields are travelling anticlockwise because you use the right hand rule for both wires.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (201)
61.85%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.69%
No- I want it (89)
27.38%
No- I don't want it (23)