Amazing Fergus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everybody,

I started preparing for graduate entry medicine (GEM) about 14 months ago, after working as an ESL teacher abroad for several years. I have some interviews now, so whether or not I get in this year, I know that my preparation for the application was successful. Thinking back to September 2018 when I started preparing seriously, there are so many things that I wish I had known/considered/started preparing for earlier!

So I am making this thread to answer as best I can any questions relating to the GEM application as a mature student. Things like resitting A-levels, getting work experience, working and studying at the same time, preparing for the standardized tests, etc.

A bit about me:
I'm 32.
My first degree was in a bioscience subject, but I then left the area and worked as an English teacher abroad for 6+ years.
I decided to spend a whole year preparing for UCAS, so nearly two years before starting the course.
I took the UCAT and BMAT.
I didn't get into Oxford, but I got interviews at Newcastle and KCL, waiting to hear back from Birmingham.

I'm really happy to answer any questions relating to what I did, but remember every profile is different for GEM students so I won't necessarily be able to give you certain answers for your situation!

Fire away =)
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe, uhh, get accepted first before the AMA?

Or you could contribute to the many applicant threads that already exist.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This isn't Reddit my dude. Also, this forum is heavily populated by applicants - not sure why applicants would feel the need to grill you, a fellow applicant, on what they're also going through.

You can chat to people here though:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4894790
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?