Ayeitsdee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am doing english literature and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to analyse a book?
zaraoof
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
heyy im doing it too for a level. i recomend u read the text more than once in order to properly understand it. also look out for specific themes, techniques etc.
Ayeitsdee
Rep:
?
(Original post by zaraoof)
heyy im doing it too for a level. i recomend u read the text more than once in order to properly understand it. also look out for specific themes, techniques etc.
Thank you so much! Yeah im doing it for A level im finding it difficult to Analyse a book
zaraoof
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ayeitsdee)
Thank you so much! Yeah im doing it for A level im finding it difficult to Analyse a book
what exam board? and what book?
Ayeitsdee
Rep:
?
(Original post by zaraoof)
what exam board? and what book?
AQA and The Great Gatsby and Tess Of The D'Urbervilles
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
definitely highlight and annotate as you read the book so when looking back you can look at any comments you've made.
examine significant statements/lines from different perspectives eg. what was the author's intention with them, what reaction may be evoked in the audience/reader
for tess especially keep an eye out for the tragic conventions and hardy's use of setting (as he describes it quite heavily in some parts!!); you're going to want to consider things like the movement from talbothays to flintcomb ash, and gothic setting during angel and tess's honeymoon and after her confession. lots of symbolism throughout the book.
Ayeitsdee
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
definitely highlight and annotate as you read the book so when looking back you can look at any comments you've made.
examine significant statements/lines from different perspectives eg. what was the author's intention with them, what reaction may be evoked in the audience/reader
for tess especially keep an eye out for the tragic conventions and hardy's use of setting (as he describes it quite heavily in some parts!!); you're going to want to consider things like the movement from talbothays to flintcomb ash, and gothic setting during angel and tess's honeymoon and after her confession. lots of symbolism throughout the book.
Thank you so much!!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you so much!!
no worries!! lmk if you need any help and i'll do my best!! i'm on aqa spec v and doing tess, othello, death of a salesman, rime of the ancient mariner, oliver twist and atonement
zaraoof
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
AQA and The Great Gatsby and Tess Of The D'Urbervilles
oo ive finished that, we're on othello now which is worse than gatsby ;/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads