julian3584
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I’m applying for university next year and want to study zoology. It appears that there are two sorts of degrees I could go for. A zoology course that does exclusively that, or a biology course in which I pick modules that relate to zoology. I’m wondering which is better, if there’s an difference at all.

I’m looking at imperial and Queen Mary currently. Imperial is ranked considerably higher than Queen Mary in terms of biological sciences, but unlike Queen Mary, it doesn’t have a zoology course, just a biology one, and none of the modules within each year are called zoology either. Queen Mary has a wider selection of zoology modules to pick from, and more field work (which I’m looking to do).

Which one do you think would be more suitable?

Thanks
becky.specks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Taking a Biology course will most likely open more career paths to you, but a zoology course will qualify you more to work with animals (not to mention the experience). I am having similar problems between choosing Biology or Zoology. If you 100% want to work in the animal field for the rest of your life go for Zoology, buf if you feel you may get bored of it or want a change in career in the future then go for Biology ❤
becky.specks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Taking a Biology course will most likely open more career paths to you, but a zoology course will qualify you more to work with animals (not to mention the experience). I am having similar problems between choosing Biology or Zoology. If you 100% want to work in the animal field for the rest of your life go for Zoology, buf if you feel you may get bored of it or want a change in career in the future then go for Biology.
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by julian3584)
Hi,
I’m applying for university next year and want to study zoology. It appears that there are two sorts of degrees I could go for. A zoology course that does exclusively that, or a biology course in which I pick modules that relate to zoology. I’m wondering which is better, if there’s an difference at all.

I’m looking at imperial and Queen Mary currently. Imperial is ranked considerably higher than Queen Mary in terms of biological sciences, but unlike Queen Mary, it doesn’t have a zoology course, just a biology one, and none of the modules within each year are called zoology either. Queen Mary has a wider selection of zoology modules to pick from, and more field work (which I’m looking to do).

Thanks
Hi julian3584,

I'm Maya and I'm a current 2nd year Biologist at Imperial. You're right that we don't currently offer a zoology course, and I would say that the Biological Sciences course here is pretty broad. Depending on your preference, that can be a good or a bad thing. In my case, I'm still not 100% certain on what exactly I want to do after graduation. So the course is suited to me as I'm able to learn about a variety of concepts and then choose my later modules based on what I've found really interesting.

becky.specks is right, this really depends on if you are 100% certain that you want to do zoology in the future, or if you want to explore your options more before you decide on your field. I also want to point out that we do offer an Ecology degree stream, which you might want to consider. I don't do any of the ecology modules personally, but I have friends that do if you have any questions about those. Although there's no zoology modules, there are modules such as Behavioral Ecology, which is focused on animals. Currently, there is also an African Biology field course offered in Year 3 of the course, which may provide some of the field work you're looking to do. However, I can't guarantee this will definitely be offered if you were to study here.

Whichever uni you end up choosing, I hope it goes well! Feel free to ask me any questions

Maya
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
23.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.71%

Watched Threads