eBay refund & PayPal Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
New to selling on eBay

Basically, buyer had to pay £3 for postage to collect item from their post office, because their wasn't "sufficient funds" paid for item (my fault).

How do I go about paying said buyer back the £3?

PayPal says to go to "activity" and refund, but I don't have a refund option.

So I got the buyers eBay email address from which they purchased the item on eBay & I sent the £3 to that email address using PayPal "send".

Is this okay?
Will buyer receive refund?

Thank you in advance
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like you put it through as a "large letter" when it was actually a small parcel?

On your selling page, click "view PayPal transaction" (sign into your PayPal if asked)
Then click the "refund this payment" button and input the amount of money you'd like to refund to your buyer.
Anonymous #1
Thank you!
I cancelled the other payment i made to buyers email account (so stupid!)
And have now done what you said and refunded online through PayPal transaction.

Yes I didn't use the right packaging :/

One question: if I want to sell a book, buyer paid for royal mail 1st class postage... What do I do?
Do I get packaging from post office?
Won't that be a hassle to then stick the return label on etc?

Thanks
Anonymous #1
spotify95
Couldn't quote your post :/
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm... Interesting. I can't quote you either OP.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure if the post office would sell packaging, I'd imagine they usually do but I suppose it'd be dependent on the branch itself. I mean, I've seen envelopes, but I can't say I ever remember seeing things like jiffy bags or boxes being sold. Though it's not something I've looked into tbh. You can buy packaging from the usual places though.
Anonymous #1
Thank you TheMcSame
Packaging doesn't really matter right?
It can be any packaging?

I have some packaging (Amazon bags + boxes) at home.

All that matters is that the right postage label is on the item right?

Thank you
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can bulk buy grey plastic postage bags on eBay for very little.
I sell a lot through eBay. It’s easier to buy the postage online. It automatically uploads tracking information so you can prove it was delivered.
You can use Hermes or post office. I generally use Hermes. Either way you can print your own label and then either drop it off at post office or Hermes drop off point
Anonymous #1
Sammylou40
The item weighs 880g so I couldn't choose the large letter option, had to choose small parcel.

Does the small parcel have to be a box?
Can it not be a large padded envelope (like the one you get from Amazon)??

Thank you
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
No, it doesn't have to be a box, BUT check out the size/weight limitations for royal mail here
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I were you I’d be sending something that size by Hermes. Much cheaper. It can be packaged in anything you want as long as it’s secure. I’ve used carrier bags inside out before
Anonymous #1
ghostwalker
Thank you

The packaging matches that of a large envelope, but the reason I couldn't select "large envelope", was due to the items weight (large envelope max weight is 750g + the item weights 880g).
Anonymous #1
sammylou
The buyer has already paid the amount for royal mail 1st class delivery. I have ordered the label too.

I was thinking of shipping it in an Amazon large parcel envelope thing, it's padded. Only issue is it says Amazon prime all over it - will that be an issue?

If I sell anything on eBay again I'll be sure to use Hermes
Anonymous #1
Sorry! Meant Sammylou40
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not an issue reusing the box. Just make sure all amazons bar codes are covered. Black marker or a bit of parcel tape does the job
Anonymous #1
Sammylou40
Thanks for replying
its not a box, but a large padded envelope.
Yes, everything is covered.

This is it.
Does it look okay?
Anonymous #1
Just to clarify, it's the blue + white one
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
anonymous #1 (does tagging even work for anon posts? E- No, it doesn't, keeping it in any way 😄)

The packaging can literally be anything, I've sent plenty of 'small parcels' in large letter-sized jiffy bags, though we're talking things that just barely scrape their way into small parcel territory. The whole 'large letter' 'small parcel' thing is just the way couriers describe different sizes and weights of packages. If you're reusing old boxes, just scrape off any personal details and cover-up the old label.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. It’s perfectly fine
MiaNova
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you both! TheMcSame & Sammylou40

Haha, I genuinely don't mean to make myself anon. But it's in "everyday issues", so sometimes it happens with my phone.

Thanks again!
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TheMcSame

My local Post Office does sell packaging, so you can definitely get hold of it whilst you're there most of the time. However, the Post Office will be charging a premium - you can get sticky tape, bubble wrap, Jiffy bags etc from the pound shop.
You can also re-use boxes from other products (or other parcels that you've bought), or alternatively ask a local shop if they have a spare box etc.

Anonymous no worries, that's the best way to do it

The packaging doesn't matter (so long as the packaging is enough to protect your item from damage) - what matters is the size and weight. The best thing to do is get a tape measure, or other measuring tape, and measure the parcel accurately.

What you use as packaging is entirely dependant on what you feel is necessary. A parcel doesn't have to be a box, it can be a jiffy bag, a small cardboard packet (like what Amazon use), a polythene postal bag (for clothes), etc etc.

For a large letter it must be no more than 35cm x 25cm x 2.5cm (and weigh <750g)
For a small parcel it must be no more than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm (and weigh <2kg)
For a medium parcel it must be no more than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm (and it gets horrifically expensive above 2kg).

Best thing to do is get your own packaging, wrap it up, then pay for postage online, assuming you have a printer (for the label) and the right equipment to check weight and dimensions (e.g. kitchen scales and a tape measure), then you're all set. You'll also get a "reference number" which you can check when it is delivered.

However...
As Sammylou40 mentioned, you can use MyHermes to send parcels. They give you full tracking, from drop off to delivery, are cheaper than Royal Mail (in most cases), and if you go through their website, they also offer a "postable" option. Basically, the same as a Large Letter, but an extra 0.5cm thickness (to 3cm thickness total). Hermes' postable category also covers up to 1kg, rather than Royal Mail's 750g.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads