Proud Mom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, Any future teachers on here that can tell me is there anything to worry about with the fitness to teach questionnaire. Can you be refused a place at uni? My daughter has a conditional offer. The conditions are passing the fitness to teach questionnaire, obtaining a number of UCAS points (which she has already surpassed on her college course) and obtaining an Enhanced DBS (This is not an issue as she already has one for college so we will have to apply for a new one with her uni as 'employer'. Don't want to pay for DBS yet if she could fail to get a place because of the fitness to teach part. Any information is helpful. Thank you.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Proud Mom)
Hi, Any future teachers on here that can tell me is there anything to worry about with the fitness to teach questionnaire. Can you be refused a place at uni? My daughter has a conditional offer. The conditions are passing the fitness to teach questionnaire, obtaining a number of UCAS points (which she has already surpassed on her college course) and obtaining an Enhanced DBS (This is not an issue as she already has one for college so we will have to apply for a new one with her uni as 'employer'. Don't want to pay for DBS yet if she could fail to get a place because of the fitness to teach part. Any information is helpful. Thank you.
It is possible to fail the fitness to teach questionnaire- however, usually only if you have significant issues that would make you really unsuited to being in the classroom. It's more usual to be offered an occupational health assessment which would lead to extra support being put in place by the uni.

If your daughter has really significant active issues such as current self harm, a current, active eating disorder, panic attacks which would mean she wasn't capable of supervising a class, any sort of condition which leads to seizures/fainting and being unable to supervise a class, or a mobility/sensory issue which would require reasonable adjustments in the classroom, I'd suggest she contacts the uni and talks these issues through with them.

It is very very rare to fail the fitness to teach questionnaire- if she doesn't have a significant health issue/disability, she will be fine.

However, often if the uni has concerns, you'd be invited to additional interviews and to an occupational health assessment. If this was still ongoing by, say, June, I'd suggest paying for the DBS to ensure it comes through in time!

I hope this helps!
Proud Mom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It is possible to fail the fitness to teach questionnaire- however, usually only if you have significant issues that would make you really unsuited to being in the classroom. It's more usual to be offered an occupational health assessment which would lead to extra support being put in place by the uni.

If your daughter has really significant active issues such as current self harm, a current, active eating disorder, panic attacks which would mean she wasn't capable of supervising a class, any sort of condition which leads to seizures/fainting and being unable to supervise a class, or a mobility/sensory issue which would require reasonable adjustments in the classroom, I'd suggest she contacts the uni and talks these issues through with them.

It is very very rare to fail the fitness to teach questionnaire- if she doesn't have a significant health issue/disability, she will be fine.

However, often if the uni has concerns, you'd be invited to additional interviews and to an occupational health assessment. If this was still ongoing by, say, June, I'd suggest paying for the DBS to ensure it comes through in time!

I hope this helps!
It is nothing major so I think I may phone the uni just to clarify. It appears all unis have a different way of monitoring 'Fitness to Teach'. Thank you for your reply.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Proud Mom)
It is nothing major so I think I may phone the uni just to clarify. It appears all unis have a different way of monitoring 'Fitness to Teach'. Thank you for your reply.
Your daughter needs to contact the uni herself- unis won't normally discuss the application with anyone other than the applicant, especially when discussing details of a health condition. She also needs to start taking responsibility for doing things like herself- this time next year she will be on placement and expected to take on all parts of the role, including contacting parents by phone or email!

I'd suggest that emailing the uni may be better, as sometimes it is useful to have a written response if they say "X won't be a problem" but then it later turns out that X is actually a problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads

Latest