Owen Jones attacker WAS right wing thug who politically targeted him Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When Owen Jones was assaulted, he called it as an attack by politically motivated right wing thugs. Everywhere from the Daily Mail to Twitter to TSR condemned him for jumping to conclusions and for unproven assertions.

Jones, it turns out, was correct. His assailant, James Healey, 40, was associated with Combat 18 and the EDL and had been banned from football grounds for racism.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nst-owen-jones

So much for the naysayers.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Havent heard of Combat 18 in a wee while, i thought they died a death?
With that being said, in response to the article, 'Duh'.
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Owen Jones is an annoying little scrotum. Chances are that he’ll get slapped around again one day soon. If there is such a thing as a professional wan*er then that’s him.
Last edited by nutz99; 1 month ago
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nutz99)
Owen Jones is an annoying little scrotum. Chances are that he’ll get slapped around again one day soon. If there is such a thing as a professional wan*er then that’s him.
Imagine being that angry towards someone you've never met. You poor thing.
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Could say the same about all those never-Trump loons.

Jones truly is insufferable, though.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
I suspect he/she may be more contemptuous than angry but look... imagine being such a fan of someone you've never met, eh?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anne Studd QC, the presiding judge, concluded at the end of the hearing that Jones was the victim of a “wholly unprovoked assault” outside a central London pub last August because of “his LGBT and his leftwing beliefs”.
That's all very well but I see no evidence whatsoever behind the judgement, where does she get the LGBT thing from? There's nothing in the link to substantiate it, all we're offered is this:

Jones said he had no recollection of any hostility directed at him inside the pub. Matthew Radstone, Healy’s counsel, said to Jones: “You bumped into him with a drink in his hand,” prompting the journalist to respond: “That definitely did not happen.” He added subsequently that “nothing bad or hostile at all” happened inside the pub, where he was celebrating his 35th birthday.

Jones said he had a different memory of the encounter. Although he had been drinking since 7.45pm, Jones said he was “completely in control” and that he remembered an apparently jovial or friendly interaction.

According to a witness statement from Jones, read out in court, the journalist had a conversation along the lines of: “‘Are you Owen Jones? We are big fans for your work, keep it up,’” which the writer said was typical of many interactions he had had when going out. Jones believed Healy and others used that encounter to identify him.

A few minutes later, as Jones and a group of friends were leaving the pub, he told the court he was attacked from behind. “I was saying goodbye to a friend, then I was on the floor, unaware of what was happening, completely disorientated. I hurt my head and I think there was a period of 10 seconds where I don’t really remember what happened.”

Sure, a lot more than the bit in bold must have been aired in the courtroom and that's what we're missing. They would have made sure they put a friendly QC on the case anyway, so there.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
I suspect he/she may be more contemptuous than angry but look... imagine being such a fan of someone you've never met, eh?
No, but we've all seen enough of him on TV and YT to know that he's not a horrible person, he's funny and pleasant and he is polite with people he talks to on panels or when he interviews someone opposed to his views. Saying he deserves to be beaten again, as that user did, is horrible and shows how bad some people on the Right are now, not least the guy who beat him up..
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was one of those who expressed pessimism over his claims, I don’t think I was wrong to do so due to the information we had available at the time. I will make this point, Jones May be annoying. But he does not deserve to be attacked in any way for his politicall views. This goes for people on both the left and the right. (Nigel Farage being hit with a milkshake, less serious yes, but the point still stands)
DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
That's all very well but I see no evidence whatsoever behind the judgement, where does she get the LGBT thing from? There's nothing in the link to substantiate it, all we're offered is this:

Sure, a lot more than the bit in bold must have been aired in the courtroom and that's what we're missing. They would have made sure they put a friendly QC on the case anyway, so there.
How surprising Zhog that you don't have it in you to condemn an attack like this.

Yeah sure the guy collected memrobilla associated with far right groups, and sure he may have been involved with far right groups, and sure he may have attacked someone because of their left wing views...
But it would be ridiculous to call him far right wouldn't it?
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
No, but we've all seen enough of him on TV and YT to know that he's not a horrible person, he's funny and pleasant and he is polite with people he talks to on panels or when he interviews someone opposed to his views. Saying he deserves to be beaten again, as that user did, is horrible and shows how bad some people on the Right are now, not least the guy who beat him up..
Sounds like you fancy him. I just find him to be a contemptuous narcissistic little troll.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are we thinking of the same person?
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Well for one the attackers membership of Combat 18, a group who's stated aims include killing all LGBTQ people?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meh, I never particularly opined otherwise, I just didn't take Owens word at face value because he had significant motivation for bias and I wasn't there. The main bit I took a bit of issue with was people saying 'What other reason could it possibly be? people don't get attacked outside bars for no reason?!?" when, well, they absolutely do, regularly.

TBH My main take away was how absolutely crap an attack it was, you have the advantage of surprise and momentum attacking from behind and the most you manage basically unopposed is a scuffed lip, it's hard to take it as anything more serious than a drunk idiot.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but we've all seen enough of him on TV and YT to know that he's not a horrible person, he's funny and pleasant and he is polite with people he talks to on panels or when he interviews someone opposed to his views.
To some, to others he's a parasitical windbag who's never done a proper day's work in his life and representative of the sanctimonious 'chattering classes' or 'urban elites' that afflict public life these days. Let's face it, what's he good for? Precisely.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Well for one the attackers membership of Combat 18, a group who's stated aims include killing all LGBTQ people?
If that is the way the judge is looking at it the charge list ought to be much more comprehensive, what about immigration? I don't know what C18's line on it is but it's probably not the same as Owen's, shall we say he was attacked for his views on it?

Gratuitous virtue signalling from the Guardianistas, both him and that judge.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When Owen Jones was assaulted, he called it as an attack by politically motivated right wing thugs. Everywhere from the Daily Mail to Twitter to TSR condemned him for jumping to conclusions and for unproven assertions.

Jones, it turns out, was correct. His assailant, James Healey, 40, was associated with Combat 18 and the EDL and had been banned from football grounds for racism.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nst-owen-jones

So much for the naysayers.
I'm really no fan of Jones, he comes across as a whiney so and so. But nobody ever should be attacked because of their political views or sexual orientation. Attacking them makes you come across as a complete cretin, and only really serves to bolster support and sympathy for the person you're attacking. So yeah, Healey is a complete w*nker.
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by z-hog)
If that is the way the judge is looking at it the charge list ought to be much more comprehensive, what about immigration? I don't know what C18's line on it is but it's probably not the same as Owen's, shall we say he was attacked for his views on it?

Gratuitous virtue signalling from the Guardianistas, both him and that judge.
... Yes he was also attacked for his political views thats the point of the court case?
I don't know what you're failing to grasp here. The guys an allegedly (I had no idea who he is but I don't engage with anyone about anything really) well known left-wing gay columnist, and he was attacked by a right-wing person who aligns themselves with groups who seek the death of LGBT people, amongst others.
Hate crime convictions (which I don't even know if this was convicted as a hate crime or just assault?) rarely get through these days, so if this man was convicted for attacking this other man since he was gay there must hve been not only substantial evidence, but enough evidence to hit someone over the head with that the attacker a) knew who this columnist was. b) showed active distain for him in some form of public place (which yes, does include platforms like twitter) and c) could be reasonably assumed to recognise him within a pub and as such take the action to attack him.
Judges don't virtue signal, they pass judgement on the case presented to them? Please get over yourself i'm begging you.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by princetonalec)
... Yes he was also attacked for his political views thats the point of the court case?
I don't know what you're failing to grasp here. The guys an allegedly (I had no idea who he is but I don't engage with anyone about anything really) well known left-wing gay columnist, and he was attacked by a right-wing person who aligns themselves with groups who seek the death of LGBT people, amongst others.
If he was attacked for being gay, is that a politically motivated attack? I know the judge thinks so but I don't, that's all.
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
he's not a horrible person, he's funny and pleasant and he is polite with people he talks to on panels or when he interviews someone opposed to his views.
Forgotten that C4 ambush hit job already?
(Original post by Andrew97)
he does not deserve to be attacked in any way for his political views.
Except with words, presumably? As he himself repeatedly dishes out. Meanwhile he support fining people who don't worship at his church of LGBT....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads