Feel jealous of bf's past relationship.. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
We're in our mid twenties... but he told his parents about me from the very beginning and also hinted at marriage early on. We've now been together 2 years. One thing that bugs me a bit is that in that time we've not spent very many nights together... we're in a LDR (but only just over an hour away from each other so not too bad) and he comes to see me every week but it's usually for the day then he heads back. Also, 3 months in to the relationship he booked an overnight trip for us but his parents demanded that we don't spend the night until both families meet... so we couldn't stay over and then a month later the families met. My boyfriend had to go along with what they said to keep the peace. Since then though, we've been away on weekend trips like 5 times and we've spent about 10 nights together. To me it doesn't feel like a relationship.

He's working hard for us, but I always tell him I don't want anything too elaborate... I don't mean for him to take me on an expensive weekend trip every week, but rather I think once every month we should at least be able to book a hotel and just let our hair down. I don't feel like we can fully relax. Otherwise, he does an awful lot for me so I sometimes feel bad always bringing this up. He does way for me than he ever did for his ex... but then I know he had a 2 year relationship with her which I don't think he ever disclosed to his parents (they wouldn't have allowed it) and they were at uni together, practically in each other's pockets. I take comfort in the fact that my boyfriend has never been this serious about a girl before as he is with me, hence me being the first girl he's introduced to his parents. And he always says things like we've got the rest of our lives to spend evenings together... just because we're not it doesn't mean we have a bad relationship.

But I think I compare it to his last relationship and feel really jealous. It almost feels like he's been there done that. I don't know if I should bring this up with him? Is it worth me asking if his parents knew about his ex? Because in a way, if they did then I feel like I'm being punished for his past.
SpinningLizard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You absolutely should not bring it up with him.

The ex is in the past, and for a reason. By telling him you feel your relationship is inadequate compared to his old one the best you can do is offend or hurt him, worst is he'll dump you. I'd not want to be with someone so insecure as to be keeping score with my past relationships.

My parents knew my ex, didn't stop him from becoming, and staying, my ex. I'm not sure "meeting parents" is quite as much of a deal as you think.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
bump
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
You have nothing to worr y about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (315)
65.76%
No (164)
34.24%

Watched Threads