Caffeine addiction at aged 16 Watch

Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm 16 and I think I have an addiction to caffeine, I think it started from when I was younger around 5 when I used to get Tea bags out of a box and suck on them, I know. I was weird. When I turned 11 I started making tea every morning before school as it was quick and easy but I have only started noticing the caffeine addiction affecting me recently.

Today I didn't have tea in the morning as I was in a rush and all day I was walking around in college with a splitting headache, eyes barely open and extremely tired. I am also delirious when Im tired and tend to stay stuff without thinking. People in my college thought I was high including teachers.

Anyway I can manage or stop this addiction will help a lot
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
I'm 16 and I think I have an addiction to caffeine, I think it started from when I was younger around 5 when I used to get Tea bags out of a box and suck on them, I know. I was weird. When I turned 11 I started making tea every morning before school as it was quick and easy but I have only started noticing the caffeine addiction affecting me recently.

Today I didn't have tea in the morning as I was in a rush and all day I was walking around in college with a splitting headache, eyes barely open and extremely tired. I am also delirious when Im tired and tend to stay stuff without thinking. People in my college thought I was high including teachers.

You need to keep a diary of how much you are drinking.
I believe the limit is 400mg a day.
Avoid energy drinks on a regular basis or at all.
I would cycle off it every4th day.
More used to it your body gets the less effective it becomes.
Start to drink water.

4 cups strong coffee or 8 cups strong tea.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32901134
Zed03
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You need to keep a diary of how much you are drinking.
I believe the limit is 400mg a day.
Avoid energy drinks on a regular basis or at all.
I would cycle off it every4th day.
More used to it your body gets the less effective it becomes.
Start to drink water.

4 cups strong coffee or 8 cups strong tea.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32901134
I don't drink a lot of tea, only one cup in the morning everyday it's all I need but when I don't have it, my day is terrible
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
I don't drink a lot of tea, only one cup in the morning everyday it's all I need but when I don't have it, my day is terrible
Just read the article and apply some common sense.
Zed03
Rep:
?
Just read the article and apply some common sense.
I have about 70-80mg of caffeine a day which is not concerning for my health according to the article when around 150mg is the recommendation for my weight. I am not looking for if it is dangerous for my health I'm trying to find out ways to stop the side affects when I don't have caffeine. I also don't drink any energy drinks at all
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
I have about 70-80mg of caffeine a day which is not concerning for my health according to the article when around 150mg is the recommendation for my weight. I am not looking for if it is dangerous for my health I'm trying to find out ways to stop the side affects when I don't have caffeine. I also don't drink any energy drinks at all
As I said use some common sense. You stop side effects by taking less or none for extended periods. Go and see your GP if you are that worried, with your amounts being so low then either you are dependent (unlikely) or are highly sensitive and should be avoiding it altogether.
Zed03
Rep:
?
As I said use some common sense. You stop side effects by taking less or none for extended periods. Go and see your GP if you are that worried, with your amounts being so low then either you are dependent (unlikely) or are highly sensitive and should be avoiding it altogether.
Alright I think it's best I see a gp
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
Alright I think it's best I see a gp
The amount you are talking about is less than 1 cup of coffee, so really best to be sensible and avoid.
If you are going to see the GP then keep a diary for 2-4 weeks monitoring your intake plus side effects.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)

I don't think you have an addiction, you just felt the consequences of being tired. Are you getting enough sleep?
Zed03
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
I don't think you have an addiction, you just felt the consequences of being tired. Are you getting enough sleep?
More than enough sleep, about 8-10 hours
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
More than enough sleep, about 8-10 hours
Lucky you!

My advice would be just to continue having your morning cup of tea then It's not doing you any harm and if it helps you feel better, why not?
Zed03
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Lucky you!

My advice would be just to continue having your morning cup of tea then It's not doing you any harm and if it helps you feel better, why not?
It's fine when I have it but on the busy days where I can't make it my side affects are terrible
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Start off by cutting out caffeine 3-4 hours before bed.
Zed03
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelike1)
Start off by cutting out caffeine 3-4 hours before bed.
I have it in the morning at 8am...
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
I have it in the morning at 8am...
Only one cup of tea a day?
Zed03
Rep:
?
Only one cup of tea a day?
Yeah one in the morning nearly every single day
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
Yeah one in the morning nearly every single day
That's nothing lol. Highly doubt it's caffeine addiction.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
It's fine when I have it but on the busy days where I can't make it my side affects are terrible
If you don't have time to drink it at home, take it with you in a travel mug? It literally takes 3 minutes to make a cup of tea.

If you feel like you are genuinely addicted (which I don't think you are), go cold turkey for a while and see how you feel.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you drink energy drinks?
Zed03
Rep:
?
That's nothing lol. Highly doubt it's caffeine addiction.
Even though it's a small amount couldn't I still be addicted as it's the highest amount I have had in my life so for other people it's a small amount but for me it isn't, if you know what I mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.29%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.12%
No (86)
48.59%

Watched Threads