ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This woman winds me up. What do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/storie...ame-a-tradwife
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's all rosy in theory until you have no financial independence and are chained to your abusive husband not having enough money to break away. Obviously that doesn't happen to everyone but growing up having to witness it makes me think people should really consider what they are getting into.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My household can be described as traditional too.
I’m not chained to the kitchen. In theory I am now dependent financially but I am the one in control of the money.
It doesn’t work for everyone
But if they’re happy then why not?
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't bother me.

The goal of any equality movement should be the freedom to choose, not the requirement to act. If that's the life she chooses, she's welcome to live it.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why does she wind you up? Just ignore her.
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She doesn't wind me up. I just think she's a little silly with the whole 1950s era aspect to it.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She doesn't annoy me.
Her life, her marriage, her choice.
Of course many married women do prefer to be full time housewives and look after their children, instead of striving to be board members and politicians.
Although I do think that she is a little obsessive in her quest to be the perfect obedient 1950s homemaker and some of her tweets can be a little odd.
The number of abusive comments that the toxic element of twitter bombard her with daily is appalling.

I know many women like this, my friend aspires to be a tradwife and have of at least 8 children.
Something of a family tradition within my mother's family tree of ultra-traditionalist catholics.
I knew some very traditionalist jehovah's witnesses, hindu and sikh couples when I was growing up.
Ironically, almost all their daughters became high powered career women in very competitive industries.

Being a tradwife is not something I would ever choose.
I'm no fan of the 1950s socio-political landscape or submitting to anyone.
Although I enjoy cooking and do believe that a mother needs to spend more time around her young children than their father does.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
fair play to her like but it's not for me
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't quote anyone for some reason. In response to the post by londonmyst, imagine actually aspiring to being a baby producing machine. That's actually quite depressing to read.
Last edited by awkwardshortguy; 1 month ago
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Can't quote anyone for some reason. In response to the post by londonmyst, imagine actually aspiring to being a baby producing machine. That's actually quite depressing to read.
My friend is a fundamentalist christian, from a fundamentalist family and does not have siblings.
She believes that the purpose of christian marriage is to have children, as many as possible and bring them up to be staunch fundamentalist christians.
Not a fan of secular lifestyles, unmarried parents, liberal christianity or contraception.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Of course many married women do prefer to be full time housewives and look after their children, instead of striving to be board members and politicians.
Of course they do. Work sucks. So if your partner can support you, being a housewife is a doddle. And if you have someone doing the housework, working is a doddle too.

She winds me up because she is selling her lifestyle as some form movement complete with books. In reality, she is a very fortunate lady of leisure.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Of course they do. Work sucks. So if your partner can support you, being a housewife is a doddle. And if you have someone doing the housework, working is a doddle too.

She winds me up because she is selling her lifestyle as some form movement complete with books. In reality, she is a very fortunate lady of leisure.
Is raising kids a doddle too?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Is raising kids a doddle too?
Yes. If that's all you do and have the the sort of money that allows you to buy organic food from the local farm shop as she does.

If you work full time like me and my wife do, its bloody hard work. I sit down most evenings at around 8.45pm.

She is selling a lifestyle only available to the rich whilst suggesting that is the woman's place.
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 month ago
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not my cup of tea, but it's her choice and no one else's business. I would have a tradwife if I was guy.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You would be wound up multiplied by a million if you got to know my maternal grandmother.
She's an ultra-traditionalist wife.
Has never worked a day in her life, cooked a meal or cleaned a room. Never will.
Leaving her time free for her favourite hobbies: being vicious and ranting the most horrifying of bible verses.
She's been doing this for over six decades, ever since she married into ultra-traditionalist catholicism as a teenager.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Looking after 8 children would not be a doddle. Looking after young children - and I do mean looking after them and doing stuff with them, not letting them watch TV and play on an ipad all day, is hard work. Some of it is mind numbingly dull but it is not a soft option as children are generally more unforgiving of you slacking than any work boss.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Looking after 8 children would not be a doddle. Looking after young children - and I do mean looking after them and doing stuff with them, not letting them watch TV and play on an ipad all day, is hard work. Some of it is mind numbingly dull but it is not a soft option as children are generally more unforgiving of you slacking than any work boss.
I know. I've done it. Still easier than working AND looking after young children.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
You would be wound up multiplied by a million if you got to know my maternal grandmother.
She's an ultra-traditionalist wife.
Has never worked a day in her life, cooked a meal or cleaned a room. Never will.
Leaving her time free for her favourite hobbies: being vicious and ranting the most horrifying of bible verses.
She's been doing this for over six decades, ever since she married into ultra-traditionalist catholicism as a teenager.
No. Each to their own. Your gran not only grew up in a different world but isn't on TV suggesting this is how women should be.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
Not my cup of tea, but it's her choice and no one else's business. I would have a tradwife if I was guy.
Really?
If you were a guy you would actually want a wife who is always going on about "submitting" and "why husbands must ALWAYS come first". :eek:
The tradwife lifestyle goes way beyond being a full time housewife, devoted mother and always having a delicious hot meal ready to be served as soon as hubby returns home from work.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really?
If you were a guy you would actually want a wife who is always going on about "submitting" and "why husbands must ALWAYS come first". :eek:
The tradwife lifestyle goes way beyond being a full time housewife, devoted mother and always having a delicious hot meal ready to be served as soon as hubby returns home from work.
I wouldn't want a wife who constantly talked about submitting, but I would not be averse to being put first in a relationship - selfish, but makes life rather pleasant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads