The Student Room Group

Can’t get over my rejection from Cambridge

So. I got rejected from Cambridge to study Geography. I knew I would be rejected after my interview as I just felt so dim witted and unintelligent due to the pressure I felt during the interview. I fell in love with the course structure, it just felt ‘me’. I am, to some extent, academic with A*A*A grades and I am passionate about my subject. I just feel so underwhelmed and depressed about my ‘oxBRIDGE reject’ status, and I also feel guilty in the fact I now have to aim for Leeds with a course that is still good but not as good as Cambridge. I’ve been crying ever since my rejection.

What should I do?😔
Reply 1
KBO
You'll be fine! Promise. You'll love Leeds - a great place and very good uni - and have a lot of fun. You may even have some greater course flexibility; Oxbridge courses tend to be more traditional.

Besides, there's nothing stopping you from going there for further study like a masters in the future - and you'll most likely thrive academically wherever you are if you made it to interview, you're obviously bright and very good at your subject!
Hey I am in the same situation as you and I can't get over it. People not in the same situation don't really understand and people with offers are just lucky because there is a huge element of luck that we can't do anything about

I applied for Geog but my college was oversubscribed so they pooled me and I wasn't chosen. I could have been among the lucky chosen ones but I wasn't which is such a shame. Every college asks different questions and different people do the interview so the variation is not fool proof.

It upsets me that I could have applied to a different college and had a better chance of getting in. Lets say I was a 7/10 applicant and other colleges took 7/10 applicants, they wouldn't swap us unless they had too many 6/10 and not enough 7's. I loved the Cambridge course since in the first year you can do Human and Physical and I haven't learnt much Physical but in the other Unis I may go to its not the same. I LOVE Geography also, always read the news, talking about it etc it was just a shame I couldn't show it off in my interview which was largely on new material
I was rejected from Oxford this year, not Cambridge, but of course know how you feel.

When you are invested in an application for half a year, neglect other responsibilities to put more time and effort into it, pour all your resources and heart and soul into it, perform the best you possibly could, visit the city and become enthralled by it, and get your hopes up that you might really have a chance, a rejection really shatters you. You ask yourself, if I tried my absolute best and could not have given anything more, does that mean my best was not enough for Oxbridge? That I am not enough for Oxbridge?

Only time can heal the wound. Receiving mutual frustration and anger and sympathy and optimism and care from others can be just as painful as it is helpful at this time. Just remember that you are not alone - the boat of rejects is far bigger than the boat of offer-holders - and in a year's time, when we are all thriving in another university, we will be glad that the Oxbridge door closed. You can only walk through one door at a time, so it is important that this one is closing for us, however painful it may be, because it means we can walk through another and will meet people and have experiences we would never have got at Oxbridge.

We would have been happy and inspired and proud to study at Oxbridge, but equally, we will be very happy and inspired and proud wherever we end up. The amount of hard work we poured into our applications is a far bigger indicator of our characters and future success than the ultimate rejection is of our self worth or intelligence.

I myself am still hurting, but am constantly reminding myself that it will hurt for a while - but not forever.
Original post by Anonymous
So. I got rejected from Cambridge to study Geography. I knew I would be rejected after my interview as I just felt so dim witted and unintelligent due to the pressure I felt during the interview. I fell in love with the course structure, it just felt ‘me’. I am, to some extent, academic with A*A*A grades and I am passionate about my subject. I just feel so underwhelmed and depressed about my ‘oxBRIDGE reject’ status, and I also feel guilty in the fact I now have to aim for Leeds with a course that is still good but not as good as Cambridge. I’ve been crying ever since my rejection.

What should I do?😔

it is normal to be upset about oxbridge rejections, but! every rejection is a redirection! REPEAT IT WITH ME! REJECTION IS REDIRECTION!!
Original post by meinanutshell
I was rejected from Oxford this year, not Cambridge, but of course know how you feel.

When you are invested in an application for half a year, neglect other responsibilities to put more time and effort into it, pour all your resources and heart and soul into it, perform the best you possibly could, visit the city and become enthralled by it, and get your hopes up that you might really have a chance, a rejection really shatters you. You ask yourself, if I tried my absolute best and could not have given anything more, does that mean my best was not enough for Oxbridge? That I am not enough for Oxbridge?

Only time can heal the wound. Receiving mutual frustration and anger and sympathy and optimism and care from others can be just as painful as it is helpful at this time. Just remember that you are not alone - the boat of rejects is far bigger than the boat of offer-holders - and in a year's time, when we are all thriving in another university, we will be glad that the Oxbridge door closed. You can only walk through one door at a time, so it is important that this one is closing for us, however painful it may be, because it means we can walk through another and will meet people and have experiences we would never have got at Oxbridge.

We would have been happy and inspired and proud to study at Oxbridge, but equally, we will be very happy and inspired and proud wherever we end up. The amount of hard work we poured into our applications is a far bigger indicator of our characters and future success than the ultimate rejection is of our self worth or intelligence.

I myself am still hurting, but am constantly reminding myself that it will hurt for a while - but not forever.

Hi there, I was also rejected from Oxford this year. I was devastated when I first got the news, we’ve tried our very best in the whole application which was incredibly emotionally draining. I cried myself to sleep for the first few days and I cry whenever I watch youtube vids about oxbridge rejection. I didnt want hear people saying cliche things to try to comfort me even tho I know their intention was good. Sounds silly I know, but that’s how is. I felt unintelligent for not being able to impress the interviewers, I doubt if I was ever qualified for Oxford, I regret for not holding this opportunity tight enough, etc.

At the same time, I’m confident that we’ll thrive in other universities, as getting an interview means we’re academically brilliant enough. Also, we can always apply for postgrad after our undergrad degree, I’m actually considering to apply for postgrad! One important thing I’ve been reminding myself about I applied to Oxford not because of Oxford, but because of the course I want to do, the subject that I am really enthusiastic about. I applied to Oxford because I love human physiology and thought that the course would really suit me, I didn’t fake my enthusiasm for Oxford and that’s why I think I would still enjoy doing biomed at another university.

I sympathise with all Oxbridge rejects, I sincerely hope that we would be able to get over this eventually and flourish at another university!
Original post by jncw
Hi there, I was also rejected from Oxford this year. I was devastated when I first got the news, we’ve tried our very best in the whole application which was incredibly emotionally draining. I cried myself to sleep for the first few days and I cry whenever I watch youtube vids about oxbridge rejection. I didnt want hear people saying cliche things to try to comfort me even tho I know their intention was good. Sounds silly I know, but that’s how is. I felt unintelligent for not being able to impress the interviewers, I doubt if I was ever qualified for Oxford, I regret for not holding this opportunity tight enough, etc.

At the same time, I’m confident that we’ll thrive in other universities, as getting an interview means we’re academically brilliant enough. Also, we can always apply for postgrad after our undergrad degree, I’m actually considering to apply for postgrad! One important thing I’ve been reminding myself about I applied to Oxford not because of Oxford, but because of the course I want to do, the subject that I am really enthusiastic about. I applied to Oxford because I love human physiology and thought that the course would really suit me, I didn’t fake my enthusiasm for Oxford and that’s why I think I would still enjoy doing biomed at another university.

I sympathise with all Oxbridge rejects, I sincerely hope that we would be able to get over this eventually and flourish at another university!

Yes - that is certainly an important point to note! We apply to Oxford because we adore the city and the people and the experience etc, but most importantly, we apply because we love our course and want to explore it further! No rejection from any specific institution can rob us of that enthusiasm. This is fundamental reassurance that we will thrive and be equally happy at another university - because we are still exploring a course that we truly love.

Brilliant to meet another "reject" who is just as upset but also can be optimistic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending