What do you guys think? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My measurements are 38” bust, 36”waist & 41”hips. I’m 5ft6. I weigh 11Stones4

I’m constantly getting called fat by my family. How can I find out my ideal weight? It’s really upsetting me
Kraggor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you're not fat at all and at least you arent on the super stick skinny side so don't worry about it. if you feel comfy the way you are currently then dont let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Hopefully1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Such a hard question. As we don't know you, who can say, but I don't believe you're over weight probably more in the realm of just 'normal'.
Bone structure does play a role. We, obviously, are not all built the same. I have two cousins and when they were little the 'little one' was quite a waif and the 'bigger one' seemed bigger boned. But, now as adults the waify one is larger in size. She never learned to chose healthy because it didn't matter she could always eat what she wanted when she was younger. The 'bigger one' decided to eat healthy and embraced healthy portions and moderately exercise. She looks great. But by 'great' she's not super skinny she is what I would call 'normal'. She wears an average size clothing UK 12-14 and she does look great! She's always had a heavier bone frame but no one would look at her and say she's fat or even chubby. I imagine she is close to size and weight to you but I don't know.
All you can do is make good choices and eat moderate portions and don't feel like you are limiting yourself in doing so. You have to embrace that decision. It is perfectly fine to look 'normal' and normal isn't waif-like.
Like the above poster said, if you are comfortable the is all that matters. Truly. The most attractive quality one can have anyway is confidence. So be confident in yourself and treat yourself with the love and respect you deserve. I'm very sorry if your family is making you feel bad I certainly hope they wouldn't intentional seek to hurt you. Perhaps they've made some poor remarks but that doesn't make you 'fat'. If it is your parents who have said that then have a calm, not emotional, discussion with them. Tell them you want to talk to them and make it just the three of you - no other family members.
Then let them know the 'fat' comments are hurtful. Tell and show them how you are making healthy choices in food and exercise. Tell them you are looking for support from loving parents and not judgmental comments.
Now the reality is if they see you seeing around playing computer games or hanging on your phone all day, never going out, never walking or getting exercise and eating crisps and candy all day then perhaps they will have reason to discuss that with you.
So again it is hard to say. But you will never go wrong with eating good for you food, chasing a moderate portion to eat, and getting some exercise in (walking 10 mins to the bus counts, and walking to the store etc. - it doesn't have to be organized exercise). These healthy choices will make you feel better about yourself as well. Then no body will be able to say anything to you. You will be - you..... and that is great!
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
An adult BMI calculator comes out with a BMI of 25.5 using your figures. A BMI in the range 25–29.9 qualifies as overweight but not obese. You are only just in the category though, instead of the one below which is Normal Weight. And perhaps you are really muscley and not fat at all.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Hopefully1)
Such a hard question. As we don't know you, who can say, but I don't believe you're over weight probably more in the realm of just 'normal'.
Bone structure does play a role. We, obviously, are not all built the same. I have two cousins and when they were little the 'little one' was quite a waif and the 'bigger one' seemed bigger boned. But, now as adults the waify one is larger in size. She never learned to chose healthy because it didn't matter she could always eat what she wanted when she was younger. The 'bigger one' decided to eat healthy and embraced healthy portions and moderately exercise. She looks great. But by 'great' she's not super skinny she is what I would call 'normal'. She wears an average size clothing UK 12-14 and she does look great! She's always had a heavier bone frame but no one would look at her and say she's fat or even chubby. I imagine she is close to size and weight to you but I don't know.
All you can do is make good choices and eat moderate portions and don't feel like you are limiting yourself in doing so. You have to embrace that decision. It is perfectly fine to look 'normal' and normal isn't waif-like.
Like the above poster said, if you are comfortable the is all that matters. Truly. The most attractive quality one can have anyway is confidence. So be confident in yourself and treat yourself with the love and respect you deserve. I'm very sorry if your family is making you feel bad I certainly hope they wouldn't intentional seek to hurt you. Perhaps they've made some poor remarks but that doesn't make you 'fat'. If it is your parents who have said that then have a calm, not emotional, discussion with them. Tell them you want to talk to them and make it just the three of you - no other family members.
Then let them know the 'fat' comments are hurtful. Tell and show them how you are making healthy choices in food and exercise. Tell them you are looking for support from loving parents and not judgmental comments.
Now the reality is if they see you seeing around playing computer games or hanging on your phone all day, never going out, never walking or getting exercise and eating crisps and candy all day then perhaps they will have reason to discuss that with you.
So again it is hard to say. But you will never go wrong with eating good for you food, chasing a moderate portion to eat, and getting some exercise in (walking 10 mins to the bus counts, and walking to the store etc. - it doesn't have to be organized exercise). These healthy choices will make you feel better about yourself as well. Then no body will be able to say anything to you. You will be - you..... and that is great!
Hi, thank you for replying. I know I’m not skinny or slim but I’ve noticed comments people have said. For example, I joined the gym in November & one of the guys said to me ‘What’s ur main goAl for joining gym? To slim down?’. I don’t know if I’m over thinking but it just made me feel quite crap.

Another guy also once said to me, ‘You’re a really nice shape, I don’t like girls who are too slim’.

I am working on my increasing my glute size & leg size, so that does explain why I’m not slim.

And I do think I will have a conversation with my family, as they probably don’t intend on offending me but it has had a big effect on me. I think they don’t realise the impct of their words so it does seem wise to let them know.

And Yes i am definitely working on my confidence. Joining the gym had helped a lot, but when I get comments it does put me down a bit. I also got one of the Pt’s randomly telling me she does a cardio class to help lose weight

Thank you for taking your time to reply, x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kraggor)
you're not fat at all and at least you arent on the super stick skinny side so don't worry about it. if you feel comfy the way you are currently then dont let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Thank you. I do need to stop caring what others think. The only reason it affects me so much is because I don’t think I’m big at all, but hearing other people make comments makes me think again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (182)
67.16%
No (89)
32.84%

Watched Threads