Boyfriend always using my netflix Watch

showaeski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A year ago he cancelled his Netflix subscription because he couldn't afford anymore. I continued paying mine and I let him have my password so we could watch stuff at his place. I told him I didn't mind if he used my netflix in his own time but he kept insisting he wouldn't.

A year later and he is definitely in a better financial position than me. I have continued paying for netflix even though I only really use it when I'm with him. He on the other hand is always watching stuff on my netflix.

It has come up a few times in conversation and he says he doesn't see the point in splitting netflix unless I get two screens because at the moment I'd be paying for it anyway.

I'm happy to split two screens because it would work out cheaper for me than paying 1 screen every month on my own. However, I don't want to seem petty by asking for a few pounds every month and as I don't watch much netflix on my own, our viewings never seems to clash.

Is it wrong for me to thing he should be offering to split regardless? Either split one screen or two screens? If it was me I would insist.

Day to day it doesn't bother me too much until there are evenings like this where he takes hours to respond. Of course as a psycho gf I checked his viewing activity because I knew it'd be Netflix and lo and behold he's been watching stuff all night.

I feel like I'm basically paying for his netflix and it's contributing to his slow replies. I don't mind slow replies usually but I do find it a bit annoying when he's using my account and ignoring my messages.

Should I bring it up again or am I being petty?
Kaylee Frye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not petty at all - continuing to let you pay for something he can very easily afford himself isn't cool.

If I were you, I'd just have an honest conversation about the issue, explaining why you feel the current situation is unfair and suggesting a payment arrangement. If it only comes up in passing now, and discussion is focused on the one/two screens issue, he might not even realise that you find it a bit hurtful that he's continuing to let you pay for something he predominantly uses, so having a talk about it will clear that up.

I personally wouldn't focus on the slow reply issue; it sounds like a whole other problem and conversation. Best not to muddle the two, especially not when the Netflix thing is such a straightforward thing he can hardly object to. Dragging in the issue of his replies might make it sound like you're taking away his toys, rather than having an adult conversation about finances.

If he won't pay, change the password. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
otkmfren
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Change your password. It should log out for him. Also there is a way to log out all the devices by going onto your account settings.
Last edited by otkmfren; 1 month ago
Ellielaw2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by showaeski)
A year ago he cancelled his Netflix subscription because he couldn't afford anymore. I continued paying mine and I let him have my password so we could watch stuff at his place. I told him I didn't mind if he used my netflix in his own time but he kept insisting he wouldn't.

A year later and he is definitely in a better financial position than me. I have continued paying for netflix even though I only really use it when I'm with him. He on the other hand is always watching stuff on my netflix.

It has come up a few times in conversation and he says he doesn't see the point in splitting netflix unless I get two screens because at the moment I'd be paying for it anyway.

I'm happy to split two screens because it would work out cheaper for me than paying 1 screen every month on my own. However, I don't want to seem petty by asking for a few pounds every month and as I don't watch much netflix on my own, our viewings never seems to clash.

Is it wrong for me to thing he should be offering to split regardless? Either split one screen or two screens? If it was me I would insist.

Day to day it doesn't bother me too much until there are evenings like this where he takes hours to respond. Of course as a psycho gf I checked his viewing activity because I knew it'd be Netflix and lo and behold he's been watching stuff all night.

I feel like I'm basically paying for his netflix and it's contributing to his slow replies. I don't mind slow replies usually but I do find it a bit annoying when he's using my account and ignoring my messages.

He is your 'boyfriend' your suppose to speak to each other about problems like this. I knows its hard and kind of awkward but its bothering you just get it over and done with! Tell him you dont want to pay the full amount bc your not the only one using the account. Alternatively, you can simply delete the account as you barely use it - reallt unfair how he uses it the most and your paying considering hes more financially stable than you lol
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
1. Talk to him.
2. Say now he is working , why doesnt he open an account and give you the password?
3. Lock him out.
4. Just cancel netflix saying you cant afford it, then watch him do without or buy it at which point you can ask him for the password.
5. Split the bill.
6. Get a family subscription and share with friends for a fee.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not really a big deal but just ask him for three pounds a month and if he refuses then maybe he is a selfish ****er.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I bet he's been staring at all those titties in Netflix's 'The Witcher', too.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by showaeski)

Seems a bit petty if you ask me considering you are bf and gf.
It's not costing you any extra to let him to watch.

Imagine living at your parents house and your mum locking you out of the broadband unless you pay half. That's literally the same thing you're proposing with your bf
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You say you don't use it except with him... Just cancel your Netflix account and tell him you don't use it enough. Then he will show his true colours as to whether he just likes Netflix (he will get his own) or if he just enjoys leeching off you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads