smolbean12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,
so i’m currently in year 12 and am wondering what kind of things i should be doing to ensure a competitive application to cambridge uni? I just need some guidance on specific things i should be doing - clubs, essay competitions etc. if anyone knows what cambridge values the most regarding applications i would be so grateful if u could share it with me!!
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on what course you do tbh
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
just show interest in your subject and don't fold the interviews there is no secret
ath79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
from what I heard oxbridge values essay competitions; what course do you want to do?
ath79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
could anyone please suggest some economics essay competitions & interns? thank you so much!!
Miurx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
personally, I did extra courses outside college, research placements, summer schools and a big project as part of my btec. I applied for engineering and got pooled despite only doing two a levels so clearly these helped.
smolbean12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meowstic)
just show interest in your subject and don't fold the interviews there is no secret
aha will keep this in mind, thanks😂😂😭
smolbean12
Rep:
?
(Original post by ath79)
from what I heard oxbridge values essay competitions; what course do you want to do?
hoping to do history at cambridge!
smolbean12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miurx)
personally, I did extra courses outside college, research placements, summer schools and a big project as part of my btec. I applied for engineering and got pooled despite only doing two a levels so clearly these helped.
congrats on ur place🥰what kind of courses did u go for and how much of your time did they take?
Miurx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by smolbean12)
congrats on ur place🥰what kind of courses did u go for and how much of your time did they take?
I did a Nuffield research placement which was about 4 weeks over the summer followed by 1 week at a cambridge summer school. I did a btec in aviation studies as well which took one hour a week for about a year.

Anything that shows you're incredibly interested in your subject will benefit your application.
ath79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miurx)
I did a Nuffield research placement which was about 4 weeks over the summer followed by 1 week at a cambridge summer school. I did a btec in aviation studies as well which took one hour a week for about a year.

Anything that shows you're incredibly interested in your subject will benefit your application.
what cambridge summer school was it? did you find it useful?
Miurx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ath79)
what cambridge summer school was it? did you find it useful?
Sutton trust & definitely!!
CharlotteTYP
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to be showing evidence of extra-curricular activities. Going to events around your subject, summer schools, work placements etc. Speak with someone who works in the field you want to study. Read books. This website is also very useful - https://www.myheplus.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (166)
66.4%
No (84)
33.6%

Watched Threads